cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

routers are they the way to go for a PERMENANT connection

N/A

hmm im thinking of getti8ng a router and modem ( combined unless otherwise pursuaded against them)
which would you say is the best im looking to speand around 250 quid or cheaper if possible, im considering this as an option because my USB modem is poor, very poor.
so any ideas boys n girls?

cheers
marc
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Right, well my ethernet ADSL router costs £70, is very good, but it only has one ethernet port and one USB port. (It's the Binatone ADSL 2000.)

How many devices do you plan to connect?

Thomas
N/A

just the one, my computer, I may connect 1 more but that wont be till very late next year, by which time im sure soemthing else will arise
also could you give me some tips on hwo they work, im a bit confusled
thanks

marc
N/A

i like the look of the DSL-302G by D-link any good? and how does it all workHuh
Community Veteran

just the one, my computer, I may connect 1 more but that wont be till very late next year, by which time im sure soemthing else will arise
also could you give me some tips on hwo they work, im a bit confusled
thanks

marc

Well, an ADSL router is totally independent of your computer. This means that it will make your ADSL connection totally on it's own, as long as it has power from the mains. This means you don't need drivers; thus they are platform independent (as long as that platofrm supports simple ethernet drivers!) Which brings me to remember to mention something: to use a router at it's best you will need a cheap (£10 from Belkin) ethernet card for your PC, if you don't have one.

Thomas
N/A

You mean you really want to be logged on to plusnet 24/7?
mike001
Grafter

Re: routers are they the way to go for a PERMENANT connectio

hmm im thinking of getti8ng a router and modem ( combined unless otherwise pursuaded against them)
which would you say is the best im looking to speand around 250 quid or cheaper if possible, im considering this as an option because my USB modem is poor, very poor.
so any ideas boys n girls?

cheers
marc

Hi
ModemRouter is the way to go if you are going to connect more that one PC BUT you will need a pci network card instaled in you PC.about £10-£15

If you are thinking about playing on line games then get a modem router.

If all you are going to do is emali www ftp p2p then just stick with what you have
or just try a dif USB modem or cheap ADSLmodem PCI card

Try this page
http://www.adslguide.org/hardware/reviews/
N/A

I was pissing myself laugthing at £10-£15 for a network card :lol:

There about £3 on ebuyer whack one in each machine (or the one) and then buy a Adsl Router (Note the term ADSL Router) this means it will have a build in ADSL modem and will dial in and open the connection perminatly. Normal Routers (or Broadband Eouters) require an external modem or internet connection

Not only will itallow you to connect it to a lan (most up to 255 pcs some more) but they will be instantly able to access the net if you buying extra hubs etc

You may wanna get one with uPnP to ensure max compatability but any cheap one will usually do the job I paid £50 for mine new
N/A

I wouldn't touch the Ebuyer stuff with a barge pole.

However, they do sell Allied Telesyn products. Two of these are just over £7.30 each.

These are excelent cards and could be classed as close to 3com and Intel, without the managment features.
N/A

If you looking for a card to get you on the internet why buy an expensive one?

Granted I dont have an ebuyer one in this machine but I notice no difference when using a machine I have put one in
N/A

woohooo, gotcha and my router is great, now im connected and i have been for the last 90 mins - lognest ive ever been connected to +net. yay. cheers guys
N/A

So which router did you go for in the end?
N/A

i went for the D-link 500, has everything i wanted and was REALLY easy to set up ( after i figured out NOT to use the crossover wire , silly me)
N/A

Yeah, you won't go wrong with that one - 8 months of trouble-free operation with mine thus far Cheesy Now if only I could get ICQ to work with it...........

GM