cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router left on or switch off

N/A

Hi,

I was just wondering if someone could advise if it is ok to switch your router off when you are not using the internet?It seems like a waste of electricity to have it turned on the whole time.

We have been upgraded to Max recently, and have completed the training stage, and had a stable 1mb connection(!).

Then we went on holiday for a week and so turned everything off while we were away. Now when we turn the router on we have to wait ages while the router tries to connect (up to 30 mins sometimes) and then the connection keeps dropping.

We are at the end of a long telephone wire, and so am not expecting a fast connection, but I just want to do what we can to improve the whole experience.

thanks

Patch
8 REPLIES
pacem
Grafter

I think I read elsewhere on here a thread about connection problems after a holiday.

If you are on maxDSL then after a couple of weeks your router would need to completely re-train which is why you got the drops. I'd place bets on your line stabalising in a week just like when you were originally maxed.

As for turning it off over night, this shouldn't be a problem at all. However your concern over electricity should be minimal, your router probably only costs £5-£10 per year to run. (I think this is probably less than a TV on standby, but as I don't have one I can't measure it.)

Paul.<><
N/A

Thanks Paul,

The connection seems to be improving now. I have also changed the filter which may have improved things slightly too.

I guess it is just a question of waiting to see what happens...

Patch
N/A

Waste of electricity apart, both my DG834G and its cheaply built PSU seem to be running hot all the time, specially in the summer. I therefore turn the router off during the night, to prevent damage.
craiglay
Grafter

I keep the router on all the time, I doesn't use much electricity and provides me with instant broadband whenever. I also use P2P sometimes.

With the DG834 line of routers, they get hot if you have them horizontal on a desk. If you mount them vertically with the supplied feet, things are much better.

It's not the only PSU to be running hot in my setup, my laptops PSU gets much much hotter, and thats a brand new Sony.
vic_newey
Grafter

Most routers & PC's that get hot use a lot more electricity than you may think, I could probably fry an egg on either of mine so that gives you some idea.
A powerful games PC with 600watt PSU & the latest kit will gobble up more power than practically anything else in your house & leaving it on 24/7 as many seem to do is just crazy, its like leaving your car on the drive with its engine running all day as it doesn't use much petrol whilst idling

Have a look at your electricity meter without your PC/router turned on & then turn on your router followed by your PC & see how the meter speeds up. Even the routers seperate power supply gets warm & uses power , also Comparing it to a TV on standby is not valid as this will scarcely register a movement on your meter if at all
N/A

vicnewey

You are absolutely correct. Some devices waste a lot of electricity, mainly because they are cheaply built.

My industrial electronics background tells me that it is feasible to make PSUs that run more efficiently, but the trouble is that they need far more components, therefore they are heavier and more expensive.

My daughter's Toshiba laptop PSU runs very hot, but in that case it would be pointless to build a more efficient PSU that is actually heavier than the laptop itself.
N/A

How heavy a PSU is, is not necessarily an indication of quality.

For example, a PSU using a cheap transformer is going to be much heavier and using far more current (and thus heat) to do its job than a switch mode PSU, which will be much lighter and much cooler.

My PC has a 600W PSU and is a decent gaming PC. However, when measuring it idling at the Windows desktop, it draws just over 100 Watts from the mains. That's similar to a standard light bulb. Of course when running 3D applications such as games, the usage is much higher, but I don't care then, as I'm actually using the thing Smiley
Community Veteran

I am just back from a 12 day holday and I turned my router off for the duration as the transformer gets roasting.

On my return my adsl speed was not affected and no re-training was required.

A