cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reconfiguring outlook after changing from btinternet to PN.

N/A

hi, can anyone help? ive just spent two hours on the phone to about 10 different BT helplines trying to find out why, all of a sudden, my outlook express is now demanding a password. im still using my old btinternet email address, for which outlook is configured, but a couple of months ago we changed our broadband service provider to plusnet. now outlook will let me receive emails but not send them. (according to one of the many BT helplines, im inputting the correct password.)

i can access my full btinternet email account through the bt/yahoo web page but i want to be able to send mail through outlook. i dont want to have to change my email address (yet) again if possible; ive just changed it after solve360 started charging for their service and i lost two years worth of archived emails.

do i merely have to reconfigure outlook for plusnet, ie change the outgoing SMTP server to something like mail.plusnet.com instead of mail.btinternet.com? (answer - of course not. i just tried that and it didnt work).

any advice welcome but please bear in mind that im a) a girl and therefore b) have a non technically functioning brain so please be patient.

ps i know outlook is considered to be shit and i shouldnt be using it but so far its not proved to be a problem.
6 REPLIES
N/A

monty
Grafter

you need to change to Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server to - relay.plus.net

Regards
Mr Monty
N/A

thanks brackens and mr monty. ive changed the server settings as suggested and no joy. apart from loads of old plusnet messages suddenly being downloaded from the last couple of months, so something must have changed, but i dont know what. im still being presented with the "enter network password" box. im presuming the user name and password being asked for should now be my plusnet one and not my btinternet email addy one, is that right?

er...im not clogging up your forum with newbie duh brain stuff am i? i am arent i. sorry Shockedops:
Highlighted
Slick
Grafter

yes thats right its the plusnet passy/password m8
Community Veteran

PN do not support authentication when sending emails so turn off This connection requires authentication.

The help page for setting up outlook does state this.
N/A

PN do not support authentication when sending emails so turn off This connection requires authentication.

The help page for setting up outlook does state this.

thanks peter. ive sorted it now by disabling authentication and by redirecting my mail from the bt/yahoo website through to outlook. the help page for setting up outlook through PN is great; i should have checked that first. not all help pages are as easy to follow as the PN one though.

thanks woteva, i finally realised that doh! :idea: Smiley

thanks very much for all your help guys, MUCH appreciated! adieu! x