cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Phone" or "jack"

N/A

"Phone" or "jack"

hi,

erm i was reading around on the net and came across a manual for my conexant accessrunner and i was reading the setup guide as i read on it had suggested that i plugged it into the "jack" port but i was abit confused as i had been using the "telephone" port erm could some help me clear this up Wink which port should i be using :?

thx for the help
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

"Phone" or "jack"

The connector at the end of the telephone wire was often refered to as the jack and the socket it plugs into called the jack socket... so it is really saying plug the telephone connector (the jack) at the end of the telephone wire into the telephone socket (the jack socket).

jack port = telephone port = telephone socket
N/A

"Phone" or "jack"

so basically i should have the "adsl cable" plugged into the telephone port (located on the pci modem)

sorry but what you said was abit confusing
Community Veteran

"Phone" or "jack"

How many ports do you have on the back of the ADSL PCI card.

Are they labeled on the card itself, if so what are they called?
N/A

"Phone" or "jack"

just them 2 - 1 called "phone" 1 called "jack" :? just want to know which i am suppose to use < wants the best performance
N/A

"Phone" or "jack"

Sounds to me that your PCI card may have a filter built in, in which case connect the "jack" port to the bt socket , you could in theory then connect a phone to the port on the card marked "phone" - but I wouldn't bother.

Jeff
Community Veteran

"Phone" or "jack"

You must connect your modem cable to the jack port and the other end of the cable to your wall socket. Connecting the cable to the phone socket will mean the ADSL modem will not work. The phone port is to connect an ordinary phone to.
N/A

"Phone" or "jack"

hmm odd - it does seem to work - ive noticed that when playing counter-strike the loss is 0 and choke is 0 - on dslreports i tend to get better results but the bullet register is poor - where as if i use the jack port there more loss (constant) but better bullet register :?
Community Veteran

"Phone" or "jack"

Haven't got a clue what you are talking about there :roll:

If both ports appear to work then just chose the one that appears to work best.
N/A

"Phone" or "jack"

okies Smiley just was asking becoz i rather use the correct 1 - but i changed my drivers from .74 to .50 and plugged it into the "telephone" port and the connection is very stable Cheesy
N/A

"Phone" or "jack"

I expect both connectors (jack or phone) are just 'passthru' with no extra filtering or anything.
One may have cleaner or tighter contacts than the other, accounting for the different reuslt, apart from that, I expect there is no difference.
If you take the card out, I am sure you could trace the connections between the "jack" and the "telephone" and see nothing but a capacitor (used as a DC blocker for the ring line) between them.