cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Cannot find server"..........help

N/A

Evil not happy! Evil

when i am doing some P2P d/l i sometimes find that when i come to move to another wesite, or indeed refresh the page i am on i get the message "cannot find server" and cannot acess any further web pages. The bittorrent downloads continue never the less.

The only way out is generally to disconnect from the net, and exit internet explorer, sometimes however i have to completeley reboot my pc, which is frustrating to say the least.

I am happy with my firewall and anti virus protection so i dont think its virus related (AVG and Zone alarm Pro)

any suggestions would be much appreciated

cheers

Adamski
6 REPLIES
N/A

Any ad/spyware that comes with your P2P application, amy affect you like this.

Try downloading AdAware or Spybot to kill any of this junk.

You may also consider donwloading and using a P2P app, that has had the spyware removed, or doesn't icclude any in the first place.
N/A

You dont say what you O/S is?

There are 2 things it can be.
One the download is taking all the bandwidth so the o/s cant resolve DNS.

Two DNS cache. If you run xp or win2k it runs a service dns client this caches DNS. If you say ping +net and it gets no responce it marks it in cache as not available so next time you do it it doesnt actualy ping it goes by the cache.

After X mins it resets and starts again. You could be geting a slow responce from dns which would cause this, use a + Net DNS and a diffrent isp like 194.119.131.66.

Try now doing a ping to a few sites like www.plus.net, microsoft.com make a note of the ip for these sites.

Next time you have the problem ping the sites by name as before if you dont get a reply from the names try pinging the ip. If you get a responce to the ip but not the name then its DNS error.

In XP or Win2k you can open your network connection and change the order on the dns(no reboot needed) and after a few secs this will reset the cache.

You can try stoping the service DNS cache.
N/A

I am running windows 98 SE with a p3 800 sys 256meg ram etc

there is no spy ware involved as i regularly run spybot etc, and when i use kazaa which is rarely then it is kazaa lite which has the spyware removed anyway

struggling for ideas realy
N/A

Other than blaming kazaa, I can't see any other issue.

Kazaa and Kazaa Lite, are known for there memory hogging activities. Kazaa Lite is also known to have issues surounding hte hack to diable certain functions.

The symptoms you discribe, are also common in system, where every network socket available to software has been taken.

In many cases, you have to exit all software, that uses network connections, to even free a single port.

On top of this, I can only see it being yur own system, that is at fault (don't mean any disrespect), as it only happens with the likes of kazaa running.

You might like to try getting as many downloads going as possible via internet explorer (ftp sites are good - try ftp.mirror.ac.uk). Then try browsing other pages.

This should signal if kazaa, or the modem is at fault.
N/A

I am running windows 98 SE with a p3 800 sys 256meg ram etc

there is no spy ware involved as i regularly run spybot etc, and when i use kazaa which is rarely then it is kazaa lite which has the spyware removed anyway

struggling for ideas realy

Does the problem occur only when BitTorrent is the p2p client?
Or does it occur when using Kaaza too?

Not having used the Windows version, does the BitTorrent client tell you how much bandwidth its using? Are you also acting as a source to many others?

My guess would be BitTorrent hogging all the bandwidth and not releasing resources to other applications.

If its BitTorrent, you'll need to see if you can cap the bandiwth it uses.
N/A

i guess that makes sense

its normally if i have 3 or more torrents open so that would eat a lot of b/width up

i will have to limit my "sharing"

and for the record it happens both with bittorrent and kazaalite but mainly bittorrrent

thanks for your help peeps :lol: