cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Alternative broadband network" - what's it mean?

N/A

This morning, I discovered I'd received the following email:

Dear XYZ,

As part of our commitment to providing the best value broadband experience, we have now successfully moved your broadband service to our alternative broadband network.

You should see no change in your service and you don't need to change any settings or your hardware, your broadband will simply continue to work as normal.

Thank you for your continued custom.

Kind regards,

PlusNet Customer Support
http://www.plus.net

I then checked my router settings and discovered the following:

I assume this means I've been upgraded? I didn't ever request to go onto a faster product than what I'm on, but I'm not complaining... Speed tests still reveal 2 megabit speeds. Is there anything I need to do to see faster speeds matching what I am syncing at?

Thanks! Smiley
20 REPLIES
hitachi
Grafter

Hi
You have been moved from BT to another wholesaler.
As long as you stay with Plusnet you should see no real differences,if you want to leave however it is more difficult than if BT was still the supplier, but this is supposed to be getting sorted.
2mb is normal for the first 10 days whilst it is worked out what speed your line can take reliably, at which point it should be raised to that level.
N/A

Is it normal for this to be done without consulting customers?
N/A

of course, its plusnet.
hitachi
Grafter

Plusnet would say they do not specify who your wholesaler will be.
They may be right, but I would not like to be changed without them asking me.To be honest when the migration system is working properly it should not make much difference.
N/A

Did you receive an email beforehand informing you of the move as promised here:-
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44113&start=45

Sick to death of pursuing this point with plusnet.

Demand a change back.

Regards
Dave
N/A

No email received beforehand, no. Just the email to say it'd been done. If the service is reliable on the new speed, then I've not really got any reason for wanting to migrate away. However, I am still quite frustrated that a package which had unlimited usage when I joined has been changed to limit it to 15 GB at peak time (not that I've exceeded this... yet!) [Also, I received an email to warn me I was approaching my 10 GB peak time usage cap about 6 weeks ago - I didn't even realise there was any sort of restriction until I got that email! :?)
N/A

I have always reserved judgement on the LLU move but do object to a change which would have cost customers to change back to BT if they decided to leave plusnet, this, without their permission or even informing them. Despite promises plusnet seem incapable of doing what they say.
I am still waiting for an answer regarding how much notice we will receive. It was first stated that we would receive notice when our exchanges were planned to receive the move and we were then to receive notice 7 days before a move which would allow us time to migrate to another provider. Unfortunately I recently discovered that it takes 14 days notice to leave.
I still await confirmation from plusnet as to the facts surrounding this issue.

Dave
N/A

I have now submitted a question via the website. I did try to get through to them on the phone today, but going through various options before being told to use their website and being cut off was not impressive. I'm disappointed as my connection has always been very reliable, but now don't have so much faith in them anymore... :?
peterfleet
Grafter

I received that PN email today. I wish PN would provide me with a broadband service for which I am paying. PN and others without specific warning have interrupted the service for over 2 weeks now.
N/A

Hello everyone!

This is my first post to this forum.

I've been with plusnet for over 2 years and have had no connection since 22/06/06. My USB modem ( speed touch) has a max downstream of 4mbps. I submitted querys via the website which are still open.

I too received that ''alternative network'' email. I was advised on 29/06/06 that my line fault query would be passed onto BT but after reading this forum and that email I'm not sure now. The problem with my modem is that the ADSL indicator light flashes contlnously. According to diagnostics that means my line isn't active.

tvr
N/A

tvr64

There are many posts on the forums relating to loss of connection caused by max upgrade as well as the change to LLU. A change of modem to ethernet router seems to be a popular route to take for many having serious problems.
It is true that many modems are not capable of dealing with max.
You say that your modem has a max downstream is that the speed your'e syncing at?
Would need more stats re your line regarding SNR and line attenuation.
Do you know what the stats were before max upgrade and after?

Dave
N/A

brumsack

There is nothing you can do until the training period is over which should (according to PN) see your connection stabilise.
In practice however it's anybody's guess.
Personally I never achieve greater than 4000Kbps despite living less than 1 kilometre from my exchange and having tremendous line stats.
I'm now beginning to wonder if my exchange has the capacity to give me any higher than this. In other words I doubt if this really is an up to 8 meg service at my exchange. I suspect I am really on up to 4 meg.

05-07-2006 03:14:42
3587.2 Kbps

This with an SNR of 10.5db at 3.14am.
This seems to be my average speed day or night. My stable rate is at 8000 and my modem syncs at 8026 all the time.
N/A

Dave

I was refering to my modems maximum download speed of 4mbps. Plusnet informed me that they hadn't upgraded my line when I first submitted my fault.

I've never really noted the stats but my service was 2 mbps, my sync was 2.227
mbps. My os is win98se ( I know very old), can you recommend a good modem/router for my os?

Thanks,

tvr
Merlin
Grafter

Modem router

If you go for an ethernet 4 port switch with adsl modem and router such as the netgear dg834 or similar Dlink product you will be os independant. If your pc doesn't already have a NIC (Network Interface Card) you will need to fit one. They only cost a few pounds and are pretty easy to install. Take a look at the web sites for Scan, Microdirect or Dabs.com for prices etc.