Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick one....

N/A

quick one....

alright peeps,

just a quick question!

when setting up my ADSL , do i need a Filter for every telephone in my house or just one for the plug that my Modem connection goes into?

Cheers
Si
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: quick one....

> alright peeps,
>
> just a quick question!
>
> when setting up my ADSL , do i need a Filter for every telephone in my house or just one for the plug that my Modem connection goes into?
>
> Cheers
> Si

My understanding is you need one filter for your modem connection and one for each phone that you have connected (assuming you have your phone(s) connected to another telephone point). So most people need two filters.
--
Maurice
Community Veteran

RE: quick one....

> > alright peeps,
> >
> > just a quick question!
> >
> > when setting up my ADSL , do i need a Filter for every telephone in my house or just one for the plug that my Modem connection goes into?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Si

The number of filter/splitters that you need depends on how you are able to configure your telephone wiring.
If your line comes in to just one BT master socket then you can put the filter /splitter into this socket which will give you 2 outputs. One for the High Frequency ADSL signals and this then goes to your Modem or Router. The second Low Frequency output is for your telephone and you can then extend from this output to other telephones without the need for more filters.

BUT if you already have other sockets hardwired in for other phones you will then need a filter / splitter for each phone that is plugged in to these other sockets.

To sum up the above. Each telephone must go to the line via a filter / splitter but it can be the same splitter serving all your phones.
The ADSL modem / router needs to be isolated from your phone system by one of the Filter / Splitters.

Hope this clears up the situation.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk