cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about filters

N/A

question about filters

Just getting started setting up my new BB Cheesy

i have 4 phone extensions in the house - properly installed with sockets.

do i need to use a filter for each wall socket? or just for the socket near my PC?

at present i have a surge adaptor plugged into the telephone socket at PC and my double phone adaptor is then plugged into the surge adaptor - do i simply replace the double adaptor with the filter at this point?

i have read the tutorial but im still not 100% about how many filters i need and where they should go!

Help please Cheesy
6 REPLIES
N/A

question about filters

Have you tried reading over the FAQ in the tutorial forum?
N/A

question about filters

yes - as i said ive read it but still not 100% clear what i need!
N/A

question about filters

Each of your phones needs to be filtered; whether that means four separate filters, one for each phone, or whether you use fewer filters by connecting several phones through a single filter is up to you. Do whichever you find more convenient. The important thing is that each phone must be filtered.

Concerning your surge adapter, if the "double" adapter is used to provide sockets for a modem and a conventional phone, then you could use a microfilter in place of this. You might consider plugging the phone doubler into the "phone" side of the microfilter, so you can still connect both your old analogue modem and the phone (as well as the ADSL modem in the data socket on the microfilter, of course).
N/A

question about filters

Thank you!

I guess then i need to get 2 more filters then!

Will it do any harm to NOT use all the filters? Im dying to get the BB up and running!!!

Cheesy
N/A

question about filters

If you unplug the other 2 phones you should be ok

But if you want to use all 4 of the sockets get 2 more filters

basic rule if somethings plugged into the socket you need a filter
N/A

question about filters

There's some great advice on wiring and filtering at the Clarity website:
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_bits.htm

Also, personally, I'd recommend using filtered wall sockets rather than those dangly things. Not so quick to install, of course, but neater and more reliable. You should not, however, do anything to your incoming Master Line Socket - it's against the BT rules.

Hope this helps.