cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with multiple extensions?

N/A

problem with multiple extensions?

ADSL line activated last Thursday, kit arrived yesterday. Installed modem (alcatel speedtouch internal) with no probs., ran round house installing splitters in all 4 extensions, then tried to connect. Nothing. The ADSL status never got beyond "detecting". Checked all settings, scratched head etc.

Bundled up pc, took downstairs, connected to master socket (deconnecting all handset extensions), ADSL works! Add handsets back in, ADSL dies.

Well to cut a long story short, PC now back in study on (furthest) extension, but ADSL only works if the no. of handsets restricted to 2. Some sockets seem to be more 'damaging' than others, but we've found 2 well-behaved ones that we can live with.

Is this likely to be caused by our admittedly homemade and slightly dodgy extension wiring? Or is there some limit to how many voice extensions ADSL can coexist with? (I.E. is it worth rewiring the house with proper junction boxes etc. or will it make no difference?) Does anyone know?

--
Rufus
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: problem with multiple extensions?

-snip-
>
> Is this likely to be caused by our admittedly homemade and slightly dodgy extension wiring? Or is there some limit to how many voice extensions ADSL can coexist with? (I.E. is it worth rewiring the house with proper junction boxes etc. or will it make no difference?) Does anyone know?
>
>
>
> --
> Rufus

Hi Rufus,

The quality of the extension wiring will affect the
way in which DSL works, if more than a few meteres long we would recommend installing a good quality extension, hope this helps.

Regards

Simon

--
--
| Simon Bedford............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| PlusNet Customer Support .......... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

RE: problem with multiple extensions?

> ADSL line activated last Thursday, kit arrived yesterday. Installed modem (alcatel speedtouch internal) with no probs., ran round house installing splitters in all 4 extensions, then tried to connect. Nothing. The ADSL status never got beyond "detecting". Checked all settings, scratched head etc.
>
> Bundled up pc, took downstairs, connected to master socket (deconnecting all handset extensions), ADSL works! Add handsets back in, ADSL dies.
>
> Well to cut a long story short, PC now back in study on (furthest) extension, but ADSL only works if the no. of handsets restricted to 2. Some sockets seem to be more 'damaging' than others, but we've found 2 well-behaved ones that we can live with.
>
> Is this likely to be caused by our admittedly homemade and slightly dodgy extension wiring? Or is there some limit to how many voice extensions ADSL can coexist with? (I.E. is it worth rewiring the house with proper junction boxes etc. or will it make no difference?) Does anyone know?
>
>
>
> --
> Rufus

Maybe worth bringing BT in for a look. They can tell you the answer, though possibly at tremendous cost. If you can get a good signal from the master, chances are your extension wiring is causing the fault.

Personally, I had the master socket go awry on me, so BT fixed it. It now works fine through a cheap Argos 15m reel cable into an extension socket. The engineer said that (contrary to popular belief) ADSL is not as fussy about line quality as many people think, but they are not responsible for non-BT installed work, and you'd have to pay for a rewire.

Try various splitter combinations as well. Some of them can be dodgy.

HTH, and good luck. It's a whole new experience when it works.

Neil