cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet speedtest is telling porkies

N/A

plusnet speedtest is telling porkies

my connection has been crawling along so i thought i would do the plusnet speedtest rather than adslguide's that i have previously used.

result:

PlusNET Technologies Bandwidth Meter

Your current bandwidth reading is:

141.18 Mbps

which means you can download at 17.65 MB/sec. from our servers.

I think that is a little overoptimistic. perhaps ill go back to the adslguide.

jk :rollsmile:
13 REPLIES
N/A

RE: plusnet speedtest is telling porkies

> I think that is a little overoptimistic. perhaps ill go back to the adslguide.
>
> jk :rollsmile:
>

HAHAHAHA! Yeah just a little OVER optimistic. Wink

wax
N/A

No it's not! That's just the speed between you and PlusNet. ADSL Guide has to look beyond the plusnet boundary by definition and will always be slower. I still think that someone dropped a mammoth DoS attack on the web last week!!
N/A

I think you should look at the figures a little closer Richard. If I was really connected at that speed I could do my years downloading in ten minutes.

jk :bounce:

N/A

Nope Richard is right when you check your speed with Plusnet you are not going outside Plusnet servers its completely internal and only gives a true representation of your speed between your modem and Plusnet and nowhere else.

If you want a representation of Internet speeds ie beyond Plusnet you have to use a site external to Plusnet ie www.adslguide.org

It is also best not to trust just one external internet site for your readings, there are others to compare with, plus these tests only provide a bandwidth reading do ping and traceroute along side these for comfirmation of routing conditions ie poor ping, timeouts, packet loss etc.

Ali
N/A

But hey wouldnt we all like to Mbps readings Smiley

But your right i wouldnt trust Plusnets speedtester cause if its right i would keep quiet if i were you they might take it away Smiley

Ali
N/A

If as you say that is a correct reading , then it is a complete waste of time doing it. of course i cant download at 20 MEG a second, what planet is everybody on.
N/A

If as you say that is a correct reading , then it is a complete waste of time doing it. of course i cant download at 20 MEG a second, what planet is everybody on.
N/A

I meant 17.65 meg of course i was just rounding it up
:cheese:
N/A

> I meant 17.65 meg of course i was just rounding it up
> :cheese:

I wish i was on that planet as they seem to have better DSL Smiley

benoh
Grafter

> > I meant 17.65 meg of course i was just rounding it up

Looks like its its probably a cache issue with your browser, try clearing your cache (Tool > Internet Options in IE) and try again.

The "file" the speed tester downloads would have been read from your harddrive to produce those speeds.

Ben
Highlighted
N/A

have you tried the following site:

www.dslreports.com

they also allow you to compare other plusnet users
--
N/A

Have you tried:
www.dslreports.com

They offer two sites to check speeds outside of plusnet then allow you to compare your results to other plusnet users!!
--
N/A

yes thanks, it was obviously an error, i only posted it as it amused me.
I think Richard drake and Bannor need to visit an opptician> . :rollsmile: jk.
>
> Looks like its its probably a cache issue with your browser, try clearing your cache (Tool > Internet Options in IE) and try again.
>
> The "file" the speed tester downloads would have been read from your harddrive to produce those speeds.
>
> Ben