cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet going downhill

N/A

plusnet going downhill

i have been using pn for almost a year now and up until about 3 weeks ago the service was excellent.....but now browsing and downloading is becoming a joke....my download speeds are up and down like a yoyo one min i get 58kbs the next i am getting 10kbs it's becoming really anoying.....i wont raise a ticket or phone them coz all i will get is its a prob your end and i know it isn't.......all isp's are the same....i'll give them a month and if it aint sorted i am off
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

plusnet going downhill

a number of questions

- how many PC's share you connection?
- are they all Active?

- what times of the day do you see the download speeds drop?
- where are you downloading from that you can guarantee 50+ kB/s all the time?
- have you done ping traces when those downloads slow from the sites or FTP?s?

NB If p2p then forget it, no download will be as fast as the host of the file.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Ianwild
Grafter

plusnet going downhill

I don't think that is the response you would get. I am actively working in another thread here on the same issue, but I do need the fault to be logged via a ticket before I can get personally involved in escalating this.

As far as we can see, other Isps are reporting similar issues and the problem lies within the BT ATM network, although at this stage getting enough solid information to log a generic fault with BT is proving very hard.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

plusnet going downhill

1 other pc shares my connection but its hardly ever on
there is no specific time of day...its all day the speed is like up and down even at 3am
and i dont use p2p software i download from 100mbit ftps and up untill 3 weeks ago the speed was always constant...so dont give me the crap thats it where i am downloading from i have 3 mates on the same ftp and ask them and their speed is top notch and whats the point of traceroutes when its not just one location its all the time form anywhere i download from
N/A

plusnet going downhill

By providing them with traceroutes it allows them to see (roughly) where on the network the problems, if any, are occuring. It has the end result of helping them isolate and hopefully fix the problem.
N/A

plusnet going downhill

eurotrain has a point

i used to work for freeserve (shudder), and tracerts are damn useful in finding where network problems lie, because it pinpoints which jumps (ie- between which servers) are causing the bottleneck so to speak.

its probably something to do with BT's routing equipment, as it is...erm...well...poo

there was an issue a while back with faulty/buggy firmware on DSLAM cards, which caused the connection speed to be throttled up and down, semingly at random....its possible that this could be the issue if bt missed your exchange when they....fixed...the problem...

these were two of the most common causes of similar problems to yours, and are in no way the isp's fault....all DSL based isp's use bt's routing equipment and DSLAM cards (unless you live in hull....dont ask....)

the only providers that are widely available ehich DONT use BT's gear are the cable companies (which use thier own equipment as far as i know)...but im assuming you are familiar with NTL's horrific track record....

the worst part is getting BT to actually admit that ot might be a problem at their end...thier fault logging system is...interesting...

because of this, the isp which is having problems needs all the evidence it can get so that BT have no choice but to admit that its their end that is the issue...

which is why tracerts, connection logs, ping tests and all the other faffing around is essential...

:shock:
N/A

RE Down hill

The problem is many of us use Broadband as yet another useful tool. I use a car but I have no idea how to fix it. It would be nice to be an expert in everything and I have learnt alot about PCs over the years because basically they do not work very well. I am certainly no ADSL expert and I certainly do not know how to do a trace route and to be honest why should I.

But I can tell you that this service has definately gone down hill in the last few weeks and Plus Net should be sorting the problem as we do pay them or we should be refunded.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

plusnet going downhill

Hi,

First, this is how to do a traceroute.

Click Start, then Run, type command and click OK.

In the Command Prompt box type

tracert 212.159.13.50

this will perform a tracert to one of our DNS servers. You can substitute the IP address for anything else you like on the Internet, for example

tracert www.bbc.co.uk

This will show you the trace to the BBC's homepage.

I can assure you that we are listening to people like yourself who have seen an impact in performance over the last few weeks or so, Ian in particular is actively involved in trying to pinpoint the problem.

However, things like this are very difficult to actually track down and find the exact cause of the problem, there may even be more than one problem.

Reading through the posts on here, ADSLGuide, and the Contact Us tickets there are more than enough people for it not to be coincidence.

As a quick shortlist a slowdown could be caused in many places, the obvious candidates would be one or more of the following - the customer's PC & ADSL hardware, virii & trojans, the phone line, the DSLAM, contention at the exchange, BT's ATM network, our Redback's, our network, peering & external networks, and the destination site.

As you can see only a small part of this is under our direct control, so if the problem lies outside of this the more examples, the more traceroutes, the more speedtest, etc. that we have the easier it is to see whether it is our equipment at fault and if not put more pressure on our service partners.

The main reasons we would ask for traceroute results is because we can't do them for you and they provide us with invaluable information as to where the problem is.
N/A

Re

Thanks

So I have done a tracert but how do I copy it as there does not seem to be an Edit facility.

Cheers Greg
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

plusnet going downhill

If you change the command slightly to

tracert 212.159.13.59 > c:\trace.txt

That will drop the traceroute data into text file on your C: drive from which you can either copy, or if you are adding to a ticket, just attach it.
N/A

Re

OK here we go:

Tracing route to www.ebay.co.uk [66.135.192.41]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms 10 ms <10 ms voyager.home [192.168.1.1]

2 10 ms 21 ms 10 ms lo0.plusnet.pth-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.11]

3 20 ms 10 ms 20 ms gi1-2.vlan3.pth-gw3.plus.net [212.159.1.2]

4 20 ms 10 ms 20 ms lvl3gw.thn.packetexchange.net [212.187.197.193]

5 10 ms 20 ms 10 ms so-1-2-0.gar1.London1.level3.net [212.113.0.114]

6 20 ms 20 ms 10 ms so-7-0-0.mp1.London1.Level3.net [212.113.3.1]

7 20 ms 10 ms 20 ms so-1-0-0.mp1.London2.Level3.net [212.187.128.49]

8 91 ms 80 ms 90 ms so-1-0-0.bbr1.Washington1.level3.net [212.187.128.138]

9 160 ms 161 ms 160 ms so-3-0-0.mp2.SanJose1.Level3.net [64.159.1.130]

10 160 ms 170 ms 171 ms so-4-0-0.gar1.SanJose1.level3.net [4.68.112.58]

11 160 ms 170 ms 171 ms so-10-0.hsa3.SanJose1.Level3.net [209.244.13.226]

12 * * * Request timed out.

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 *

I do get to ebay but it does run very slow quite often. Is this suggesting that the prob is at their end?
N/A

And an English one

Tracing route to www.virgin.net [194.168.54.50]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms voyager.home [192.168.1.1]

2 20 ms 10 ms 20 ms lo0.plusnet.pth-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.11]

3 10 ms 20 ms 10 ms gi1-2.vlan3.pth-gw3.plus.net [212.159.1.2]

4 20 ms 10 ms 20 ms gi5-0-4.pth-gw1.plus.net [195.166.129.21]

5 10 ms 20 ms 20 ms linx-gw.vbc.net [195.66.224.25]

6 20 ms 20 ms 10 ms lng-bb-a-so-220-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.121]

7 20 ms 20 ms 10 ms gfd-bb-b-so-600-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.241]

8 20 ms 20 ms 10 ms gfd-dc-d-v300.inet.ntl.com [213.105.172.157]

9 * * * Request timed out.

10 *
N/A

plusnet going downhill

That usualy means that the 12th hop onwards is blocking your requests.

THis is very common with many US sites, and even more so with those connected to Level 3.
N/A

Re

So what does that mean. Sorry but as I have said before I am not skilled in this field.

Cheers
Ianwild
Grafter

plusnet going downhill

HI Guys,

I am looking at the speed problems, but I am only looking at the ones that get reported in the sticky thread at the top of this forum, as I can't manage the information from more than one thread efficiently.

Tomorrow I will start asking everyone for more uniform data so I can collect the sort of information I need.

I would agree that in an ideal world, no one would have any problems with their connection, or at least problems would be easy to diagnose and fix. I'm afraid however that a broadband connection isn't like that and the sort of technology we are talking about here is far from 'stable'. In 10 years time, I'm sure all these things will be a non-issue, but broadband users here and now are still early adopters and as such i'm afraid there is no way to avoid a bit of pain when trying to find out why a problem like this might occur. As I have pointed out already - It isn't just one ISP that has customers with the same comments at the moment - It is all of us.

Dave missed the most probable cause of at least 40% of the speed problems (imho) - That viruses and trojan, such as blaster, are eating either your bandwidth directly or are affecting other local users on your exchange and as such contention is kicking in.

By The way, cfletch, did you get my email? I tried to ring you a couple of times on Friday but coudlen't get through. I would like to work with you to look into the problem you are experiancing.

Regards,

Ian