cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet broadband unexpected speed change - please help

akaneria
Grafter

basically i have been on a 8meg plusnet broadband since my exchange was updated over 1 1/2 years ago, i have been consistantly getting 750kbps speed , however for some reason my my router is stating now that it has gone to 2.2 meg line, and i am not getting anything faster than 200kbps, i am about 300m from my exchange. this has never happened before
please advise
thanks
22 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Ok. I can see the reports at BT end are showing that your speed has declined. Now we need to find out why.

In order to do that really effectively, we first need to eliminate internal wiring, or a fault with your modem / router... before we escalate it to BT Wholesale as a fault.

Are you able to plug your modem / router directly into the master socket in your home with nothing else connected to the line. That includes unplugging any other phone or set-top box etc.. that you may have connected to your telephone line.

This will eliminate any interference from internal devices or wiring that could be degrading the ADSL signal.

What you're looking for then, is not an immediate increase in throughput, but a change in your synch / connection speed. If you're using a modem, this will be the speed that pops up when you connect. If you're using a router, you should be able to find it in the interface for your router.

If it doesn't increase, then try another microfilter if you can. If that doesn't change anything, and if it's possible, it would be worth trying another modem or another router plugged in in the same way - direct to the master socket.

This helps our faults team eliminate any other possibility other than a line fault - and means that we can raise it to BT to resolve - which could require a visit to you by an engineer. If an engineer is required, and the fault turns out to be a dodgy modem or your own internal wiring - then they reserve the right to charge £160 - which we certainly don't want.
akaneria
Grafter

thanks for the help martin, i will try what you have said tonight, i also have another router which i will try aswell.
the adsl router and connection have not moved from the spot for over a year and a half! lol

if this does not work then shall i post a message on here again to you so that we can take it further?

thanks
Liam
Grafter

Yep... that would be good. Also, if you haven't already - raise it to us at http://faults.plus.net
akaneria
Grafter

hi liam, i did the fault checker and the results came back with 10 minutes, it stated that there was nothing wrong with the line.

"Dear akaneria

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

Kind Regards,
Customer Support"
Liam
Grafter

Yep, we'll be changing the text of that shortly - it is a little confusing!

Anyway, it basically means that it cannot find any BT Speedtester results in BT's systems. Have you run a speedtester at http://www.speedtester.bt.com
akaneria
Grafter

no net yet, i have in the past but this bt speed tester is very temperamental, but i will try it this evening along with your other recommendations.
also by the way was there any other information on the bt report regarding my broadband problem?
akaneria
Grafter

i've done all the recommendations you have made above and the sync is back to 8meg using a different router, however my broadband speed has always been around 750kbps for over 1 1/2 years however ive just done numerous speed tests and am only getting 147kbps.
I certinly believe there is somthing wrong with the line even though now i am getting a sync speed of 8meg.
I can also mention i'm about 300m from my exchange. the line attenuation is in the 22db aswell, which is well within limits.
i have never had this problem before.
i'd also like to mention that i did the bt speed test however when it asked to insert my username it wounldn't accept it. (i typed in akaneria@plusdsl.net)

please could you look into this for me
appreciate it
Liam
Grafter

That's because, though the sync speed has gone up, BT will still be limiting your throughput as you're sync speed was previously lower.

It will take upto 3 days on the increased sync speeds for BT to up the 'IP Profile' for you as the automated equipment need to see stability of the line.

So, what you're now seeing isn't a fault, if the sync speed has gone back to normal. It's simply a case of waiting for BT to update the throughput restriction at their end.

If that makes sense?
akaneria
Grafter

oh right, thanks for the info liam, hopefully within 3 days or so this would have gone back to normal, if not i'll post my finding back on here.
thanks appreciate it
craig_p
Grafter

hi
for some reason if there is a bad storm or as in the recent flooding, even though I was not affected, my sync spee goes down on that day and takes about 3/4 days to recover. This might be worth bearing in mind. Cheesy
akaneria
Grafter

thanks,
i'll keep that in mind, but in my area we have noot had any sort of weather problems, and my sync speed has never decreased. the problem that i had found was mainly to due to the adsl router which may be on its last legs. its a 3com router
craig_p
Grafter

hi
i live a fair way from the exchange and use a netgear dg834g route on max dsl ang get speeds of up to 5000kps connection speed It has worked well for me and run 3 pc all hard wired. This is an older model but an be got for less than £40.00. A bargin I would say
N/A

i was having great speeds untill 6am this morning or there abouts ,rang plus.net and they told me it was bt ,they had lowered my connection speed to 256kbps from about 6.5mb
so i rang bt and they told they have done nothing and that its plus.net
lol glad ive asked for my M.A.C no.
i hate being lied to ,not that plus is lying but someone is
bt proberbly ,,,but hey there ya go
paying for 8mb premier and getting 30k/s ..lol
im gutted
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

@exposeuk

What PlusNet mean is that the automated systems at the BT exchange have probably reduced your IP Profile in response to a noise event on your line. This can easily be demonstrated, or ruled out, but running a BT Speedtest on your line (help here).

If you post the results here then we should be able to provide advice on your problem.

Assuming that the loss of sync and/or noise event isn't repeated your IP profile should be increased in 3-5 days by the BT systems.

There is nothing PlusNet or any other ISP can do to solve this other than providing advise to assist you in optimising your connection and/or raising faults with BT where appropriate.