cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please help connection prob

N/A

please help connection prob

hello

i am having problems getting my connection set up. i have the a360usb modem and win xp. i have followed the installation instructions, ie selecting pppOa and do not plug modem in until drivers are installed and reboot. first problem is i am not getting the icon on my desktop. secondly if i go into network connections it is showing under there and shows it is connected but if i open my browser i can not surf. also in properties it is shown as ppp0e i have tried removing and installing but still no joy. any ideas?
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: please help connection prob

Matt - can't help other than reassure you it is not you! I have exactly the same problem - don't get the shortcut on the desktop so can't enter username and password. I've spent probably 45mins on the phone with the support folk, in the end they referred me to Dell who referred me straight back! Customer support has a ticket on this, and are investigating...
so suggest you raise an official ticket - that way at least there are two of us!
good luck
Sali
N/A

>
> hello
>
> i am having problems getting my connection set up. i have the a360usb modem and win xp. i have followed the installation instructions, ie selecting pppOa and do not plug modem in until drivers are installed and reboot. first problem is i am not getting the icon on my desktop. secondly if i go into network connections it is showing under there and shows it is connected but if i open my browser i can not surf. also in properties it is shown as ppp0e i have tried removing and installing but still no joy. any ideas?

Ok, in the network connections folder there should be two icons.

ATM and wip tech.
Ignore the ATM one.
The Wip tech one is the one you use.
Double click it.
You will then have it open.
Enter user name and password.
You can also right click it and create a shortcut on the desktop.
musicman53@musicman53.co.uk
email me if you still need help.
N/A

> >
> > hello
> >
> > i am having problems getting my connection set up. i have the a360usb modem and win xp. i have followed the installation instructions, ie selecting pppOa and do not plug modem in until drivers are installed and reboot. first problem is i am not getting the icon on my desktop. secondly if i go into network connections it is showing under there and shows it is connected but if i open my browser i can not surf. also in properties it is shown as ppp0e i have tried removing and installing but still no joy. any ideas?
>
> Ok, in the network connections folder there should be two icons.
>
> ATM and wip tech.
> Ignore the ATM one.
> The Wip tech one is the one you use.
> Double click it.
> You will then have it open.
> Enter user name and password.
> You can also right click it and create a shortcut on the desktop.
> musicman53@musicman53.co.uk
> email me if you still need help.
>

hi
thanks for the replies, i do not have the wip tech icon in the network folder, can i make this manually?
N/A

> > >
> > > hello
> > >
> > > i am having problems getting my connection set up. i have the a360usb modem and win xp. i have followed the installation instructions, ie selecting pppOa and do not plug modem in until drivers are installed and reboot. first problem is i am not getting the icon on my desktop. secondly if i go into network connections it is showing under there and shows it is connected but if i open my browser i can not surf. also in properties it is shown as ppp0e i have tried removing and installing but still no joy. any ideas?
> >
> > Ok, in the network connections folder there should be two icons.
> >
> > ATM and wip tech.
> > Ignore the ATM one.
> > The Wip tech one is the one you use.
> > Double click it.
> > You will then have it open.
> > Enter user name and password.
> > You can also right click it and create a shortcut on the desktop.
> > musicman53@musicman53.co.uk
> > email me if you still need help.
> >
>
> hi
> thanks for the replies, i do not have the wip tech icon in the network folder, can i make this manually?
Matt,
uninstall modem drivers/software.
Unplug modem from pc.
Install modem drivers/software again.
Reboot.
Plug in modem to pc.
Windows will find it and install it.
You should now have the desktop icon and 2 icons in network connections.
ATM and Wip tech.

N/A

I had exectly the same problem no wiptech icon created on desktop and no connection in networking or dialup.

Eventually i diabled all startup items using run "msconfig " still had no effect so i wiped hd and reinstalled. It worked fine when i next went to install the usb modem. (on a bare system.)

Fraid i can't explain why it would not install the first few times and did when on a clean install.

Installed first time on my laptop with existing windows on no problem.

Eventualy i bought a router Solwise sar110 -much better solution. Should have bought this as the startup pack instaed of usb

N/A

> I had exectly the same problem no wiptech icon created on desktop and no connection in networking or dialup.
>
> Eventually i diabled all startup items using run "msconfig " still had no effect so i wiped hd and reinstalled. It worked fine when i next went to install the usb modem. (on a bare system.)
>
> Fraid i can't explain why it would not install the first few times and did when on a clean install.
>
> Installed first time on my laptop with existing windows on no problem.
>
> Eventualy i bought a router Solwise sar110 -much better solution. Should have bought this as the startup pack instaed of usb
>
> hi

i cant believe you had to reinstall the o.s, seems a bit drastic. it seems that looking at recent posts this is a common problem that the icon is not created on the desktop with xp, there must be an easier soloution

N/A

> > I had exectly the same problem no wiptech icon created on desktop and no connection in networking or dialup.
> >
> > Eventually i diabled all startup items using run "msconfig " still had no effect so i wiped hd and reinstalled. It worked fine when i next went to install the usb modem. (on a bare system.)
> >
> > Fraid i can't explain why it would not install the first few times and did when on a clean install.
> >
> > Installed first time on my laptop with existing windows on no problem.
> >
> > Eventualy i bought a router Solwise sar110 -much better solution. Should have bought this as the startup pack instaed of usb
> >
> > hi
>
> i cant believe you had to reinstall the o.s, seems a bit drastic. it seems that looking at recent posts this is a common problem that the icon is not created on the desktop with xp, there must be an easier soloution
>
>
Matt,
see my post in reply to Sals post.
The re format/re install os has solved this type of problem no end of time with others.
Drastic yes,but it solves the problem.
Corrupt files,XP files screwed up.....can be any one of many.
A clean install of only OS and minimum of software first and if all ok,then install all other stuff.

N/A

Instead of resintalling Windows can I recommend running the set up in Windows 98 compatability mode?

Simply right click the installation file goto advanced and then select windows 98.

I presume this is a setup disk that creates these icons =)

NB: I have no experience with ADSL =)
--
When you do something right, no one notices that you've done anything at all!
N/A

> Instead of resintalling Windows can I recommend running the set up in Windows 98 compatability mode?
>
> Simply right click the installation file goto advanced and then select windows 98.
>
> I presume this is a setup disk that creates these icons =)
>
> NB: I have no experience with ADSL =)
>
> --
> When you do something right, no one notices that you've done anything at all!

hi

yes the idea is the software disc will put the icon on the desktop and the wip tech icon in the network connection folder. tried in win 98 comp mode , software tries to install but wont finish. so still no joy, but thanks for the suggestion