cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

piper alarm filter?

westie
Dabbler

piper alarm filter?

i have a piper alarm system installed by local authority with pull cords in each room with control box in hall it is speaker phone one button only it is hardwired into bt master box the control box speaker phone has two connections a bt spade and block connector,my question is would a filter need fitting to the control box i cannot see it possible to fit at bt box as wire is internal any advice out there thanks
6 REPLIES
Bookman
Grafter

piper alarm filter?

Hello!
I'm not an expert, but while you are waiting for an expert to reply here is a bit of my own experience which might have some bearing on your problem.

I had an old BT box on the wall which had my router and main phone connected into its outlet in the usual way via a filter. But there was also an extension cable to another phone and this cable was hard-wired into the old box. There was a filter on the end of the extension.

When I had a BT engineer visit recently he said this was not ideal and he replaced the old box with a new one which has the name "ADSL V 1.0" on it. The extension is still hard-wired into this box but now does not need a filter. The new box has two outlets, one with a symbol for a phone and the other with a symbol for a computer - so the connections for phone and router/modem are obvious. But again, no filter is needed. The engineer told me that the box itself has an inbuilt filter.

The proof is in the pudding - I get very fast connection at over 6000 kbps.

So, if you had one of these new BT boxes to replace the old one you could probably have your control box hard-wired into it without any need for filters. Hope this info might help, and good luck whatever you do! Smiley
westie
Dabbler

piper alarm filter?

thanks for your reply mybarns i have in fact an old style bt box yellow with age out of intrest did bt make a charge to change your box or did they just update it im told that the master box is their property
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

piper alarm filter?

Hi,

The short answer is will need a filter otherwise it could cause problems. It doesn't necessarily need to be filtered at the master socket but could be filtered at the other end of cable. So long as everything is filtered once and once only it should be fine unless there are any problems with the cables and filters themselves or the master socket.
N/A

piper alarm filter?

I dont know the alarm but I have installed adsl for disabled who have an alarm connected to the phone the type with a press button they hang around their necks and a speaker phone.

While the device was connected to the phone line adsl would not work. In all cases they contacted the alarm supplier and they fitted a new device that worked with adsl
westie
Dabbler

piper alarm filter?

thanks to all for advice on my problem i reported this to the control centre and they sending out a engineer to fit filter so to every one out there who has such a system get it filtered at the end of the day it is another extension line and often overlooked as in my case regards bharte
Bookman
Grafter

Re: piper alarm filter?

...did bt make a charge to change your box or did they just update it im told that the master box is their property

Sorry I wan't here to answer your question earlier, but it sounds like you have got things under control now.

For the record, BT didn't charge me anything. They had been called out By PlusNet because my connection wasn't working properly. The problem was nothing to do with my lines but the engineer changed the box anyway - he said the old box was out of date. As you say, the main box is their responsibility.

Cheers Smiley