cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ping times

N/A

ping times

hi, Ive been on a plusnet 512 connection for some time now and have been getting pings in games of about 18-25 on decent servers, which is far lower than any of my friends on rival isp's.
But sadly over the past week or so my pings have slowly risen, today ive been getting nothing below 50 which im not to impressed about, i raised a support ticket addressing this issue and the response was "anything around 30-35 is normal" which wasnt very helpfull.

i was wondering if anyone else has been effected by higher pings lately?

also webpages have been loading slower than normal.
8 REPLIES
N/A

ping times

there is a new MyDoom virus that is spreading like wyldfyre and is basicaly eating the webs bandwidth.. when it subsides it should all be ok again )
N/A

ping times

so my ping should return to how it was etc?
also how long do you think it will take?
N/A

ping times

It's difficult to judge when a virus is going to drop off, but it'll always be the background. You might as well accept some problems with ping rates from time to time, since new viruses, trojans etc. are always being turned out.
If you want someone to blame, blame all the plonkers who don't bother to have a firewall and virus checker.

Your ping rate is affected by lots of things, such as net traffic, where the server is based etc. Sadly unless you have an actual problem with your ADSL connection, I'm not sure there is a lot you can do.
N/A

ping times

baisicly the general message im getting is that theres nothing anyone can do about this at all even the plusnet customer support staff cant do anything (they directed me here.)

Dear Customer,
There is very little i can say as there is no set reason why the ping times should go up as you are still using the same connection over the same servers. The problem is that because it is still around 30ms we could not even report this to BT for an ADSL transit problem due to only being 30ms.
I am sorry we could not directly help you i do not know if anyone in our forums may be able to help you?

excellent.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

ping times

Hi,

You also mention that webpages have been loading slower as well, have you done any speed tests to see if the speeds any different.
One thing that can affect both the ping and the speed is if something using the bandwidth in the background.
Take a look at http://cgi.support.plus.com and just have a run through the various tests on there and see if anything helps.
Also have a look at the broadband View My Usage Tool (under connection settings on the left) and see if the bandwidth usage ties in with what you think it should be.
If you've got some spyware or a virus on the system it could easily be using your bandwith up without you knowing and thus affecting your ping times.
N/A

ping times

thanks for the help, what can you recommend to scan for spy-ware etc? will Ad-Aware do?
Community Veteran

ping times

Ad aware is good but also download spybot as they both find things that the other doesn't.
N/A

ping times

k i ran ad-aware and it found an executable i think, i got rid and everythings back to normal now, thanks for your help