cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ping -t ?'s

N/A

ping -t ?'s

Hi all,

Is the ping -t command trust able, can I believe the packet loss and ping spikes?

I'm a keen gamer, but something is sucking the fun out of it.

xbox live doesn't offer me any way to check packet loss etc just the main server pings.

things are getting slowly unplayable (no pun) of the routers ag3 seems the best (when I can get it)

does anyone know if there are any settings I can give the xbox to get me some loss/spike free games?

even games played with all Brits (custom) can be laggy.

please help,

Simon
7 REPLIES
N/A

ping -t ?'s

There are no massive spikes today (>300) I had been getting spikes over 1600 every 60th (ish) ping -t

much better, thanks if +net fixed things.

Simon
N/A

ping -t ?'s

If you are running ping -t a lot you are using bandwidth up for nothing and in fact you will impact on other users.

Depending how often and how long you do this you could be considered to be doing a DOS Attack
N/A

ping -t ?'s

thank for that pearl

most helpful
N/A

ping -t ?'s

you do realise when you do a ping -t each packet can take a different route to the target box than the the packet before hand. hence it is not really a good idication of what kind of lag you are gonna get.
N/A

ping -t ?'s

I just found it funny that each 60th ping was 1600 - 1800. It didn't matter whether it was plus.net, yahoo.com or google.
N/A

ping -t ?'s

its probably the latancy casued by the previouse 59 pings that causes your ping to go high, or a setting on a firewall somewhere on your LAN effecting it after X packets and for X time
N/A

ping -t ?'s

After further investigation with 'ping plotter' (just found that gem), It is my lan that is responceable for the regular hugh spikes. Thats being sorted out.

My xbox was not suffering from these hugh spikes (not using the crap hardware). It is still suffering from the smaller (200-300ms) spikes thou!

Perhaps it would be better to recomend somthing like ping plotter to people asking for help in this regard. It found the culprit for me in less than two min's.
The nauty kid act hasn't been used on me for decades Shockedops: and was less than helpful.

Simon xxx

p.s. tracert was been used spareingly, the longer runs were done to the 1st hop at +net and in the early hours. Most of my gameing is done between 12 & 6 AM.