Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phones on different sockets to bb not working

N/A

Hello, all.

I'm a +net forum virgin, so treat me nice Smiley
Well, as the title suggests, i'm having problems with phones connected to other sockets in the house. A little background - I have the 512kb premier connection, first used it three days ago. When i've tried using phones on different lines i use the supplied filter. When I try to use a phone on another line, the tone is fairly dull and usually crackly. If i manage to make a call the call won't end, no matter how long i put the phone down for. As a n00b to broadband, am i missing something obvious, is there a simple fix or is this something sinister? Like I said, bb itself works a treat, as does the phone connected to the same filter but the other phones on different sockets are having none of it unless i'm off bb and don't use a filter.

Any help much appreciated.
Cheers - Twiggy.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Hi, How are these additional sockets connected? you need to have a filter on every telephone line in the house or otherwise you will get these problems.

In the tutorial section on the forums, is a guide to wiring for an adsl connection, check it out and let me know if your still getting problems :-)

Aaron

here is the link to the wiring guide Tutorial: ADSL Wiring Guide
N/A

Hey there,

As I only have 2 filters just now, i only have 1 other phone connected at the same time when I try to figure out what's going on (Only using 1 socket with the bb and one phone the majority of the time, although this isn't practical). I've tried different sockets with the phone, the two main ones we use using the filter at all times. For ease I have disconnected everything from the computer room socket (bb and one phone) and removed the filter for the other phone, just used the phone in the socket (I take it if the bb isn't connected this shouldn't make a difference when it's reconnected?) . I took a look at the FAQ you mentioned and didn't really see anything relating to problem, i thought maybe the quality of the line could have something to do with it but i live about 400 yards as the crow flys from the exchange and as i'm in a new house the cables are less than 6 months old. Surely if i'm on bb and have the two phones + bb connected with their filters i should get a ringtone and be able to make calls normally and be able to end the call?

Twiggy
N/A

Sorry to double post. I don't think i explained it very well....i'm knackered to be honest. Basically socket 1 - filter attached with bb and 1 regular phone, both work well. Socket 2 - different room - filter attached with 1 phone only - this phone doesn't work, i get a dialtone (not ringtone sorry ^ ) but the line is crackly, making calls doesn't work very well. If i can make a call, I can't end it. This is all whilst i'm online. At the moment, i'm only using socket 1 because the second socket is fairly useless. When i said i disconnect everything, i only do this to make a call from a different room, for comforts sake (Would this cause a problem if i reconnect the filters when i want to use bb?)

Hope that's a bit more clear.

Twiggy.
N/A

You could try asking BT to up the gain on the line to see if its a signal strength issue.

Jay
N/A

Cheers Jay, i'll take a look into that.

Anybody else have any ideas? I'll give it a day or two before i contact

:twisted: BT :twisted:

I was hoping it was something easy, doesn't seem to be... Sad
Thanks for your help folks.
Twiggy.
chroma
Dabbler

Have you carefully checked the wiring between socket 1 and 2 to make sure the terminations are not loose and the wiring is not crossed over?
Ian
N/A

Turning up the gain doesn't help ADSL to my knowledge and may even make it worse, since the noise to signal ratio will increase. Turning up the gain normally helps dial up connections. However I'm not 100% on this, maybe Phil or Peter can confirm or deny this.

It could be one of three things, either one of your filters is faulty, your line is faulty, or the extension is faulty in someway. Do you have sky? since this needs to be filtered as well.

Aaron
N/A

I'll have a look at the wiring later on, hopefully re-post around 6pm. I don't have sky so that's not the problem. I'll try everything later on, have a good poke about and see what the wiring's like. If it's something to do with this I think i'll leave it to the builders, we're still in the snagging period - new house, so they should take care of it.

Cheers

Twiggy
Community Veteran

See UK Telephone Wiring which shows how the master and extension sockets should be wired. Also if you have to change the wiring use the correct tool, don't force the wires in with screwdriver as it will damage the connectors.

Turning up the gain won't help with ADSL, it will just increse the noise and may make it worse so I don;t recommend asking BT to do that.

It does sound like your 2nd socket is wired wrong or the wire itself is faulty.
N/A

Sorry, quick addition.

When I say second socket, i mean the one i'm using with my second of two filters. In the house I have about 8 sockets, i've tried most of these (seperately using a filter) and no joy.
Originally when we moved in and the bt tech connected us there were some problems with the line, maybe there's still an issue.
N/A

How many of these have telephones or modem's connected to them? since any that do will need filtering.

How many telephone devices have you got connected?
N/A

Hello there,

I have about 8 sockets in the house. I only have 2 splitters so I am only using 2 sockets. 3 devices attached to 2 sockets. first socket - bb and a phone. 2nd socket - one phone (i only use this when i'm trying to figure out what's wrong). Currently I only use 1 socket for broadband and a phone unless i only want to make a phonecall, in which case i disconnect everything and only use a phone plugged directly into the socket.

I'm going to play with the wires Smiley hopefully post back soon.
N/A

Turning up the gain doesn't help ADSL to my knowledge and may even make it worse, since the noise to signal ratio will increase. Turning up the gain normally helps dial up connections. However I'm not 100% on this, maybe Phil or Peter can confirm or deny this.

Yeah, I used it for poor strength dial up connections previously, I was thinking that with so many phone sockets (REN?) the signal is degrading with BB connected. Upping the gain or removing some sockets would help this. I dont know how badly the ASDL would be affected by this but I figure there must be some leyway with a 512 connection. Just my guess anyway Smiley, if it dosn't work you can always get them to put it back .

Jay