Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

peer2peer

Highlighted
vic_newey
Grafter

peer2peer

we have 2 PC's networked & PC 1 runs fine but as soon as PC 2 ( my sons)is turned on the speed drops from around 472to 350 even if he is not downloading , unplugging the cable restores speed to PC 1, I discovered a peer2peer program on his computer altho it is not used.
Peer2peer is not permitted on our connection, does +net detect this & apply a bandwidth choke?
9 REPLIES
N/A

peer2peer

There is no bandwidth choke applied. The port used for P2P is simply blocked at PlusNet if your account is not allowed P2P. Of course, if the machine sends data from the P2P programme and the port is blocked, you will still use up bandwidth in send.
However, a file sharing propgramme can be full of all sorts of spyware that do not all use the P2P port and can be running in the background from the time the PC starts.
Download and run Adaware to see what nasties it finds.
Community Veteran

peer2peer

If you mean your on ADSL Home Surf, the ports that P2P apps use are just blocked on your ADSL connection so no communication can be perfomed through them. In theory it should not effect the speed of transfer unless there are constant attempts to connect through those ports occuring on your Son's PC.

Do you see any activity from your son's PC - i.e. does it look like it's using bandwidth? If so then thats the reason and the P2P app needs to be removed and the PC scanned for virus, spyware, trojans and malware. I also suggest you do the same on your PC.

For some security scanners see General: Essential Security software.
vic_newey
Grafter

peer2peer

he usually spends hours on chatlines which I imagine would use little bandwidth, the peer2peer prog is now deleted but problem persists, my PC seems
spyware free but doubt his is, we note his hardrive appears active even when not actually using a program.
Running +net speedcheck on my PC whilst he is connected shows dire 350 instead of usual 472-5
A compulsory reformat / XPinstall is on the cards I think!
N/A

peer2peer

we note his hardrive appears active even when not actually using a program.

A definate hint that something is not right is continued disk activity when no programmes appear to be active.
Install the free version of Zone Alarm (firewall) an all machines. With this you can configure programmes to access the Internet and it has a nice little trayicon graph which shows if internet activity is taking place.
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?lid=pdb_za1
Community Veteran

peer2peer

Running one or several of the spyware and virus scanners may yeald the same result. Although if you have no idea what he has been using the PC for then a reformat will at least give you the knowledge that what was installed is no longer there. It does not however stop the same programs from being installed again but maybe a thread of a reformat if it happens again will discourage that somewhat.

Good luck.
vic_newey
Grafter

peer2peer

thanks for that guys,
My son is having a 'lan party' Sat ,here at our house whilst my wife & I are at the NEC miniatura show. I am locking up my PC to keep it safe, I expect his mates who bring their PC's are equally contaminated!
N/A

peer2peer

Get tcipview from
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

this will show all connections to his pc which may show whats causing the problem
vic_newey
Grafter

peer2peer

interesting utilities ! I will have a good look at these later, off to NEC now
N/A

peer2peer

:!: the command netstat -a shows all IP connections both TCP and UDP