cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pci modem to linskys wrt54g

N/A

i have just looked at the pci modem which has just arrived and i would like to share my 2mb line when it is activated between my laptop and pc through my linskys wrt54g there is no rj45 socket on the pci modem what are my options i often shut down my comp to install drivers etc which leaves my brother waiting...i do have onboard lan but would rather be able to use the router...
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hmm.. may have been better to replace the router with a linksys WAG54G and not buy the PCI modem as you canot connect the PCI modem directly to your router... anyway whatever you do your brother will still be waiting if you shutdown because your PC is the link to the ADSL connection...

- OK PCI modem connection to your phone line and gives you ADSL
- Router connects to you PC via your Lan connection on the PC.
- You then setup ICS (internet connection sharing) on your PC which will link your PCI ADSL connection to your Ethernet connection and thus to the router

- Your laptop PC will connect via wireless or hard-wired to the router as necessary.

Your laptop will only have ADSL connection while your PC is switched on.

How does your brother fit into this. Does he connect to the router somehow on another PC via wireless or hard-wired? if so, he will still only have ADSL access when your PC is on.

With the external Linksys WAG54G router, your PC would not need to be on because the router connects to your phone line, not your PC. And your laptop and your brothers PC (if that is what he has) will also have ADSL access when your PC is switched off.
N/A

cheers for that my brother has his own laptop and uses my bb connection...ps anyone want to buy a wrtg54g router?
N/A

If you want to sell your router, post an entry in the for sale forum at the bottom. Wink

Aaron
Community Veteran

But explain it does not have an in-built ADSL modem. It's basically a wireless router designed to connect an external cable/ADSL modem to.
N/A

Your router can run Sveasoft linux, I'd want to keep it!

I'm going to get a WTG54GS, don't know what modem to couple it with yet, heh