cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p2p performance is appalling

N/A

I don't do a massive amount of p2p, but bittorrent over the weekend has been appalling (average < 2kb/s), and this evening it is even worse at 0.0kb/s!!!

I know we have shaping to control the data, but it appears plusnet is bandwidth limited with normal http accesses alone and absolutely no headroom for p2p. I pay for a premium service, but find it well below par at the moment.

The graphs at Link are broken at the moment, but they show quite clearly that plusnet is in desperate need of more connections!
61 REPLIES
N/A

yes, p2p is basically blocked, due to all the lamers whoring it for warez. What do you expect if a protocol gets abused?
N/A

***yes, p2p is basically blocked, due to all the lamers whoring it for warez. What do you expect if a protocol gets abused?***

Well aren't we paying for it? Then why doesn't PN say e.g. "all users can only download 2gig max on P2P, and over will be blocked".
Liam
Grafter

Because we prefer not to limit people as hard as that.

The network management is flexible in that we do not have to set a hard cap on a particular protocol. We simply ensure that other protocols get priority (i.e. the web browsing, the VoIP, the Gaming etc... all gets top priority on the network) and then P2P can use whatever is left. At busy times, this is not a lot, granted - but off-peak, P2P can use around 70-80% of our entire network - as the amount of web browsing and gaming and 'interactive' traffic drops off.
Firejack
Grafter

You should consider a change to Broadband PAYG . I'm downloading the latest patch for World Of Warcraft via P2P and getting an average of around 60kB/sec which is just below the average for the torrent spawn. In other words, Full speed Smiley
N/A

Because we prefer not to limit people as hard as that.

The network management is flexible in that we do not have to set a hard cap on a particular protocol. We simply ensure that other protocols get priority (i.e. the web browsing, the VoIP, the Gaming etc... all gets top priority on the network) and then P2P can use whatever is left. At busy times, this is not a lot, granted - but off-peak, P2P can use around 70-80% of our entire network - as the amount of web browsing and gaming and 'interactive' traffic drops off.

Well the point I was trying to make is we pay for premier with an allowance of so many gigs. There is no point in having premier if you are not going to download P2P. And what everyone is complaining about is that we are given this allowance, but it seems you have to change your life style to use it i.e. sleep in the day and eve and awake during the night.
I'm forced to leave my computer un-attended at night for downloading at decent speeds.
N/A

You should consider a change to Broadband PAYG . I'm downloading the latest patch for World Of Warcraft via P2P and getting an average of around 60kB/sec which is just below the average for the torrent spawn. In other words, Full speed Smiley

Didn't someone say in another thread that if we all changed to payg that would be crippled?
Firejack
Grafter

Yes and they were completely wrong. Are you really going to leave your PC on downloading at 8Mbps all day when you are paying £1.50 for 2GB? I think not. People are going to use it more sensibly.

Personally I'm loving Broadband PAYG. Topped 245kB/sec downloading the patch. What would of taken all day on Premier has taken 40 minutes on Broadband PAYG.
N/A

wow again

speed probs with PN.groundhog day again

change your D/L client to utorrent for a start,its much better.
PN advertise you can p2p but the dont say they throttle your connection.
you can get round it abit by opening up some of your ports but i cant get my head around it to do it.portforward.com

just gone wifi with laptop so piggy backin others connections for nowt and hammering their D/L's.

but like you say we pay for a service and we aint getting it.
PN wake up and read the postings before every one leaves for other ISP's who aint as bothered.
N/A

just spent all day link:censored about with routers and configuring them to try and actually get more than 1kb out of p2p but no joy!

finally stumbled across this thread...i think it is terrable we pay for a prem service but end up being taken for a ride. gamers seem to be able to do what they want, take as much b/w as they want.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed attempt to bypass swear filter.
Please read the
link:rules
N/A

gamers seem to be able to do what they want, take as much b/w as they want.

Gamers use very little bandwidth.
I probably use less bandwidth in a month of heavy gaming than you could use in an hour of downloading with p2p (If p2p worked Wink )
p2p with PN is shite...im not denying that (i gave up with it) but please get things in perspective and stop having a go at gamers.
N/A

Although PN have not announced it they throttle high bandwidth http downloads too, so no chance of getting good speeds out of web based usenet access like guba, unless you pay for a secure proxy. Such is life. So just be happy dowloading **** from youtube or bebo or waste your firstlife and PN is cool. The rest of us will just have to become vampires.
N/A

But it does beg the question again over how other ISPs seem to be able to provide high speed web browsing AND P2P at any hour of the day. I must admit I'm getting a little fed up with friends laughing at the sub-modem speeds I am able to achieve on a 2MB contract. This weekend it's actually worse than ever. Average speed 4KBps.
N/A

Oh wait, it's now dropped to 2KBps.
N/A

Min's running at 1.7 this morning.