cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p2p and plusnet

N/A

p2p and plusnet

Ive finally had enough of this tin pot company. The main reason I had dsl was so I could download files quicker, using p2p now is just a waste of time with plusnet, my download speed is virtualy non existant, my uploads on the other hand are flying. I no all about the fact that it all depends on the connection at the other end, but it matters not a jot what the connection is at the othere end or hiow many other people are getting the same file, the result is the same, terrible download speeds. Someone mentione earlier about bt openworld doing a special deal with no activation fee, I cant see this on there web site so if anyone knows where to find it tell me coz I've had enough.
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: p2p and plusnet

You dont say what you are using ie Kazaa,
Mirc etc. I use all these and the speed varies as you say on the other end. My mate has BT and things are the same. I can get a download speed over over 60kbs on some things. There are cheats for things like Kazaa to speed it up as it depends on you partispation level.

> Ive finally had enough of this tin pot company. The main reason I had dsl was so I could download files quicker, using p2p now is just a waste of time with plusnet, my download speed is virtualy non existant, my uploads on the other hand are flying. I no all about the fact that it all depends on the connection at the other end, but it matters not a jot what the connection is at the othere end or hiow many other people are getting the same file, the result is the same, terrible download speeds. Someone mentione earlier about bt openworld doing a special deal with no activation fee, I cant see this on there web site so if anyone knows where to find it tell me coz I've had enough.

N/A

RE: p2p and plusnet

> You dont say what you are using ie Kazaa,
> Mirc etc. I use all these and the speed varies as you say on the other end. My mate has BT and things are the same. I can get a download speed over over 60kbs on some things. There are cheats for things like Kazaa to speed it up as it depends on you partispation level.
>
> > Ive finally had enough of this tin pot company. The main reason I had dsl was so I could download files quicker, using p2p now is just a waste of time with plusnet, my download speed is virtualy non existant, my uploads on the other hand are flying. I no all about the fact that it all depends on the connection at the other end, but it matters not a jot what the connection is at the othere end or hiow many other people are getting the same file, the result is the same, terrible download speeds. Someone mentione earlier about bt openworld doing a special deal with no activation fee, I cant see this on there web site so if anyone knows where to find it tell me coz I've had enough.
>
> I use kazaa and ive got the lite version any help would be appreciated mate. wolvesandbooze@hotmail.com

chino
Grafter
Posts: 446
Registered: 27-06-2007

RE: p2p and plusnet

All i can say is P2P is C£$" you want ftp's as i usally get 57kbps+ and on kazza (i don't us it any more but what i used was diet kazza as that speeds up you connection), why do u people us it... Try other appz such as soul seek, dc, winmx ect

kazza is the most used and full of C$%£

cUnDaLl


--

1.7 GHz AMD XP, 768MB DDR PC2100 Crucial, 120 GB HD IBM Deskstar

Why do we do it because we can...... Smiley
N/A

RE: p2p and plusnet

I have to agree, to any technicaly minded person kazaa is akin to a virus, after all what would you call a piece of code that installs itself without asking then removes programs its set to (ad-aware anyone?) and on top of that its slows down your system and eats system resources.

Now some people out there have migrated to kazaa light and the likes, but even though this is a step forward its still no good. Its still a lazy persons tool for downloading and its killing isps.

FTP is a much better way to downloading always get good speed off good sites, but this still isnt perfect for to many people want to download and it means lots of queing, and lets face it people arnt exacly in the habbit of waiting about.

So what does this leave? well I recomend that people start looking a better filesharing networks. I normaly use ftp but I also use DC++ (thats the direct connect network). BitTorrent (the future of p2p), mirc fserv's, and the newsgroups. Using these there isnt a mp3/movie/tv episode/iso or the likes that I havnt been able to get, all at over 50kb/s.

So simple rule, dont blame your tools (the adsl). Learn how to use it and you will get better results.
N/A

RE: p2p and plusnet

> I have to agree, to any technicaly minded person kazaa is akin to a virus, after all what would you call a piece of code that installs itself without asking then removes programs its set to (ad-aware anyone?) and on top of that its slows down your system and eats system resources.
>
> Now some people out there have migrated to kazaa light and the likes, but even though this is a step forward its still no good. Its still a lazy persons tool for downloading and its killing isps.
>
> FTP is a much better way to downloading always get good speed off good sites, but this still isnt perfect for to many people want to download and it means lots of queing, and lets face it people arnt exacly in the habbit of waiting about.
>
> So what does this leave? well I recomend that people start looking a better filesharing networks. I normaly use ftp but I also use DC++ (thats the direct connect network). BitTorrent (the future of p2p), mirc fserv's, and the newsgroups. Using these there isnt a mp3/movie/tv episode/iso or the likes that I havnt been able to get, all at over 50kb/s.
>
> So simple rule, dont blame your tools (the adsl). Learn how to use it and you will get better results.
Thanks for the replys, and AI do know what you mean, what I would like to know is though where do I find the addresses for these ftp sites. My mail address is on this thread if u dont mind letting me know. I did try IRC recently but it went over my head to be honest, but I will persevere.
N/A

RE: p2p and plusnet

>I have was having download speeds of upto 60kbps until last week on Blubster, and now I have just the same as you Adrian. Not worth connecting now. I contacted support who suggest changing the MTU Value to 1458. Check-out the letter in the Forum regarding this. Reckon I will try this out.
N/A

RE: p2p and plusnet

> >I have was having download speeds of upto 60kbps until last week on Blubster, and now I have just the same as you Adrian. Not worth connecting now. I contacted support who suggest changing the MTU Value to 1458. Check-out the letter in the Forum regarding this. Reckon I will try this out.

ive just paid for plusnet dsl but its not set up yet,whats considered as a slow download speed on kazaa?i get about 3-4kb with my current modem,what can i expect with plusnet dsl?and whats the worst speeds?
N/A

RE: p2p and plusnet

p2p is notorious for slow transfer rates because there are so many variables involved, not the least is the remote p's transfer rate settings (they might have it limited to 2kbps for example). Bandwidth also gets eated up and may ISP's are restricting their allocation of b'width to p2p users.

What's PlusNet's policy on this?