cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p2p and adsl

tiffer
Grafter

p2p and adsl

I have a twin Processor 550mgh pc unit running win2000, all patched todate, with 400mg mem and a netgear DG814 router/gateway with a netgear wireless for the other pc

regards
14 REPLIES
tiffer
Grafter

p2p and adsl

Anyone,

Can anyone explain why p2p stops adsl working after a while please.

thanks
N/A

p2p and adsl

I think this is to do with line "saturation". Basically when all of the bandwidth is being used, the connection stops. Maybe try looking in the settings for something like "Download limit" or "Bandwidth limit"?
tiffer
Grafter

p2p and adsl

thanks will try out
N/A

p2p and adsl

What connection hardware are you using? (usb, router, PCI)

Eurotrain is basicly correct. Some routers suffer problems where all available memory and CPU is tied up processing concurrent P2P requests.

Normaly, new connections would just be rejected, however, some hardware (and possibly some drivers) suffer issues where it keeps trying to allocate ports. With the lack of memory to do this, the whole deck of cards colapses and the router can fall over.
N/A

p2p and adsl

There are posts on ADSL Guide sugesting that the newer firmware for the DG814 fixes lockups with P2P (or at least improves things).

From what I real 4.9 FINAL is out.
tiffer
Grafter

p2p and adsl

ps.....

the router does not fall over, I just can not run an web browser or get email. The router still allows me to ping a site on its ip address but not on say www.plus.net. The p2p software still runs. As soon as I disconnect the router and then reconnect, I have no more problems for a while.

Regards
tiffer
Grafter

p2p and adsl

Thanks, will look for 4.9 later

regards
tiffer
Grafter

p2p and adsl

There is no 4.9 software upgrade available for the 814.

The following seems to have helped.
The router has a default MTU at 1458. I also have a with wireless lan.
I have been getting disconnects, changed the MTU on all machines to MTU of 1458, all the problems seem to have gone away, also the increase of speed over the wireless lan has greatly improved.
N/A

p2p and adsl

Check again.

THIS ADSL Guide thread shows differently.

That is not the thread I had first found it in however, just one that cropped up during a quick search.
tiffer
Grafter

p2p and adsl

Just had a look at the http://www.netgear.com/support/products/DG814.asp site. Latest firmware virsion is 4.8. Thanks anyway.

regards Tiffer
tiffer
Grafter

p2p and adsl

found 4,9 beta on the netgear french site. will try it out. hope its not in french. thanks

http://www.netgear.fr/support/download/DG814/DG814_v4.9RC4.zip

Perhaps this link will help others
Community Veteran

p2p and adsl

Take a backup of your present firmware first though before you change anything.
This should allow you to restore if it all goes wrong. Wink
tiffer
Grafter

p2p and adsl

thanks, I have also downloaded version 4.8 from netgear a while ago and am useing that version at the moment. But will backup all firmware first.

Thanks again
tiffer
Grafter

p2p and adsl

tried 4.9 firmware upgrade to my netgear dg814 router.

Had to many problems, reverted to 4.8.

The MTU alteration seems to have been the key, have been up for over 43hrs since the alteration and reverting to 4.8

regards tiffer Cheesy