cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overheated?

N/A

overheated?

Hi,


I bought a adsl modem/router saturday got it home set it all up, got my lan computers connected fine, anyways i was surfing the net about 8hours later from setting it up, and all of a sudden the lights go out on the modem, i d/c the mains adapter, connected it all back up and nothing the router was dead, also it smelt cooked and was very hot, so im thinking it overheated and blown up, is this common with these hardwares? im taking it back today, what should i do replace it or get my cash back? if this issue is not common i'll probably repace it. sorry about the long story.

Thoughts welcome...thanks!!!
4 REPLIES
painswck
Grafter
Posts: 449
Registered: 30-07-2007

overheated?

Hi,

You do not say which router you have.

During the hot weather some run quite warm. I have a Solwise which normally is just warm to the touch but during the hot spell ran quite hot. Also have experience of a Netgear and that runs warm as well. To cook like yours seems a faulty router.

Hope this has helped.

Cheers
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,983
Thanks: 8
Registered: 10-04-2007

overheated?

I have a D-Link 504 and the router itself does not run hot but the power transformer come Plug does get quite warm.
Having said that though it never gets too hot to touch.

I suspect that yours has developed a fault which has proved terminal.
N/A

overheated?

No, it is not very common for them to heat up and burn out in this way, however, it is possible.

The speed at which yours has done so, would sugest that it is has a fault inside it. It would be wise to post what model you have, as we may be able to see if this is a common factor with this modem.

When manufactured, they are designed to withstand some heat, as all electronic devices become warm at a minimum.

Factors including airflow, room temperature and operating conditions can all help in heating the device.

The heat exaust crates a natural airflow, however, in a confined space, this can result in recycled heated air being re-used, making the device hotter.

Room termperature will affect it but not as much. Confined spaces are a primary cause.

The operating conditions are pretty privial with these devices. Only higher speed lines will cause major trouble, where more of the device CPU is needed to process traffic. Howeve, sustained, high transfer with multiple connections (IE, lots of smaller downloads with multiple connections, pretty much all the time) can cause a higher CPU load, thus increasing the termperature.

New devices will sustain the heat for a good while, compared to used devices. So a single days operation is very unlikely to have caused this.

As such, this pretty much leaves it down to a fault modem.
N/A

overheated?

It's a sparkcom router/modem, iv'e been to my local computer shop and replaced it, its working fine now but still warm/hot


thanks