cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opting out of bt

N/A

opting out of bt

I've just been on One tel site and it would appear that bt customers can now completely opt out and have other companies (one tel) provide the complete telephone service - assuming I've picked this up right. My query is: If I were to sign up for this "select" service will it in any way affect my plusnet broadband service.

Thanks for any help and/or advice.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

opting out of bt

Yes it may well cause a cease on your service, although theoretically it should not.
Best to check with OneTel and get it in writing. It's not a complete service BTW it still uses BT Wholesale supplied lines and exchange equipment not that this really matters. I'm not sure if these type of services have fully come out yet anyway. I'd recommend waiting til a few more are on the market and you can shop around.

Chris
N/A

opting out of bt

OneTel use a CPS system (Carrier pre selection).

If effect, it is a automated version of the Old dialer unit, that will bill all calls to your new suplier.

There are a few issues though. Some select services are not available when using this, and other select services are still billed by BT, for rental of them, and on there per use chanrges.

All this is arranged at the exchange level

THIS LINK will take you to the TalkTalk FAQs (carphonewarehouse service).

It tells you who bills for what inder this.

Your ADSL should not be affected, as your copper pair is still by BT, though you main call billing is by sombody else.
N/A

opting out of bt

Thanks for advice - I think I'll talk to onetel about it - sounds as though it may not be as earth-shattering as I thought. Cheesy Cheesy
Community Veteran

opting out of bt

If it's just carrier preselection it should have no effect on your ADSL service.

I thought you where talking of the new line rental included services soon to be available.

Chris
N/A

opting out of bt

Be aware also that BT, as of 1st June, have improved their BT Together call packages. For heavy daytime telephone users you can in effect cap your bill at £28.50 per month inc line rental. 0870, 0845 and mobiles are excluded. There's another offering, £18.50 I think, which does much the same but excludes calls during business hours Monday through Friday. I can't remember what the £11.50 option does..

I note that Carphonewarehouse have had to remove their £500 reward if they couldn't reduce your BT bill since the introduction of new Together packages. BTW, It's not £500 cash, it's a credit that must be spent within 12 months or £150 cash.
N/A

opting out of bt

Hi defunct,

If this is indeed a CPS system it may be what BT would consider a "change of contract" - causing an automatic cease on the ADSL service.
The best thing to do is ask BT directly whether this would cause a cease on ADSL - and also raise a ticket to us before you have this done so that we may query this with BT as well and possibly prevent the cease from happening.
N/A

opting out of bt

Sorry I've been away for a few days and hadn't realised the thread had continued.

I am already registered with one tel for call charges and have been for quite a while so that is not an issue. My problem was with the apparent option to change the supplier / provider of line rental. The question is (I think) assuming that this option is to become available to bt customers, is it still a prerequisite of adsl installation and usage that I have a "bt phone line".

I'll go and have a look on bt's site.

thanks for replies
N/A

opting out of bt

OK, looking at OneTel, I am unable to find a package the way you talk about it.

However THIS is there select package.

With this package, you still pay BT you line rental, as the coper wire supplying your service is owned by BT.

Can you supply a link to more information on the package you talk of, if this isn't the one.
N/A

opting out of bt

Hi,

I use OneTel and converted to their Carrier Pre-Select service a few months ago. Basically all your voice calls are routed through OneTel and you will be billed for calls by OneTel. Your telephone line is still owned by BT and you are still liable for your monthly line rental with BT. There is a prefix number that you can use should you not want to have a particular call routed through OneTel. Those calls will then be billed bt BT. Using the Carrier Pre-Select Service does not effect you ADSL. Indeed I am using ADSL with Plusnet at the same time as my OneTel CPS.

As my wife makes lots of national and international calls and I spend a lot of time on ADSL I have found that this setup has worked very well for us and hopefully keeps the costs down.

I hope this helps. Regards.... Tongue
N/A

opting out of bt

I've found what it's about, "Wholesale Line Rental": http://www.oftel.gov.uk/ind_groups/line_rental/

New 'Line and Call' services - introduction

Telephone companies can now provide new 'Line and Calls' services using existing BT lines into customers’ homes. This leaflet explains how the 'Line and Calls' services work and how they could benefit you.

Widening choice

With 'Line and Calls' services, customers can get their bill for line rental from the same company that they choose to carry their calls. For some time, you have been able to choose different companies to carry some or all of your calls, while keeping your BT line. You do this by selecting these companies in advance or by dialling a prefix before the telephone number. But if you use these services, you get two bills - one from BT for your line rental and one from your chosen company for your calls.

In parts of the country, you can also choose cable television companies to supply your telephone line and calls.

All these options will continue to be available. The new 'Line and Calls' services will bring extra choice and encourage more competition.

'Line and Calls' only applies to standard 'landline' telephone services. Other telecoms services are unlikely to be affected (such as broadband, mobile and Internet services)
N/A

opting out of bt

These "Line and Call" packages could very easily affect boradband.

You would have to contact OneTel regarding this, as I am still unable to find OneTel documentation to say how there part of the scheme works, and what if any existing services will be affected.