cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

omg @ packet loss

N/A

omg @ packet loss

err hi

i just recently got activated for plusnet adsl and i play counter-strike alot i have noticed that i am gettin loss/choke on servers that r good :?

i changed my mtu rates about and r now at 1458 and my rwin rates and ran the tweak test on dslreports site and said my settings r fine.

i also have this icon call adsl pci modem control pannel and changed my settings like i was told in there, there is also a transmission option in there i changed that from 1500 1500 to 1458 1458 but still no change i have tried everything and it doesnt seem to be helping

some plz help thx ;x

p.s i got this thing call visionnet i have no idea what it does it doesnt seem to work if i connect it up with the adsl line :/
11 REPLIES
N/A

omg @ packet loss

If youv'e taken the tweak test and the results say that your maximum packet size being transmitted is 1458 then this is fine. Theres no need to do anything else.Changing the PCI card settings from 1500 to 1458 wont make any difference,so dont worry about it. Dr TCP tweaks the registry settings for your netword adaptor and thats all you need to do.If your using a MTU of 1458
your RWIN value should be 12762.(for a 512K connection).
Try also a setting of 1430/13900 for MTU/RWIN as this has been stated to be ever so slightly faster and since your a gamer every little bit counts.
Try also taking the speed test at www.adslguide.org.uk as an alternative, to check your line performance.
ps. silly me, I've just read the title of the subject properly, are you actually getting any packet losses when you take the tweak test ?
N/A

omg @ packet loss

no not on the test, err but on counter-strike i am :/ like every server
N/A

omg @ packet loss

N/A

omg @ packet loss

Thats a good result, your true(estimated line speed) including overhead buffer
is almost your rated line speed of 512K.
The tweak test is basically telling you that your line is optimized and working properly so its not a line/set up fault.
Obviously this doesn't help as your still not happy with your gaming results.
The only thing I can suggest is a faster and/or less contended line,or
(and I know this is going to make a lot of users of this forum happy)
a ROUTER !! This would give an improvement in ping times etc a must for all
serious gamers. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

omg @ packet loss

First do a ping trace to a number of servers you play on checking where the packetloss shows. Then and only then can you lay blame at someone's feet.

edit2: forgot why I stopped using Hypertrace until i tried it again. Well better tracer in 15 or 30 day trial variety Visualroute
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

omg @ packet loss

perhaps you should adjust your rates to match plusnet as I had to when I switched from clara net to plusnet. I dropped my cl_cmdrate and my cl_updaterate to 60 to match my fps and my rate to 20000. This removed any packet loss and lag I was having immediately after my transfer. Try it Cheesy
N/A

omg @ packet loss

gaming works on UDP, try changing your DNS ips.
N/A

omg @ packet loss

Shocked how do i do that and where do i get the dns ips from?
N/A

omg @ packet loss

I use a Program called "DNS Expert Pro" to get Fast DNS ips for gaming.

Am getting packetloss on Demon UK servers but none on two USa servers have tryed.

The above DNS ips are BT's.

Right click your Connection Icon/Open Network Connections/Right Click Dial Up/Properties/Networking Tab/Highlight - Internet Protocals/Click Properties/Use the following DNS servers.

It's worth a try, and it helped me in the early days with BTopenworld and there hg (homegate) pipe upgrades =/

Be nice if there was DNS ips that could be more aimed at gaming servers?

Jolt do gaming servers and have there ADSL worked so there ADSL network is working good on the servers.

Wonder if plusnet can do anything like that but not just for the own servers, but for Demon,jolt,blueyonder etc
Community Veteran

omg @ packet loss

The DNS servers would not affect ping times or packet loss. They simply provide the 'telephone book' to look up hostnames to IP addresses. This is only (usually) done once for each host, then the result is cached on your machine for an amount of time (TTL or Time To Live).

Barry.
N/A

omg @ packet loss

TTL is different to DNS caching.

This is a time in milliseconds, stating how long a packet is allowed to live, until it is classed as undeliverable.

Windows XP states its DNS cache records with a TTL value (can be viewed by typing "ipconfig /displaydns" in a console window), which is misleading.

DNS cache record expire, simalar to saver offers from a super market. You can go back and purchase as many as you wish of a deal, until the date the deal expires.