cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noise on the phone

Highlighted
N/A

noise on the phone

Since my phone line was enabled for adsl (just under a week) my phone has had noticeable white noise (a sort of rushing water sound) that wasn't there before. The noise is there whether my adsl router is plugged in or not, and with the router unplugged the noise is the same with and without a microfilter/splitter on the phone line. The phone is still usable, but you can definitely tell the difference.

Is this inevitable with adsl? If not, can plusnet help?

Thanks,

Stephen Isard
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: noise on the phone

> Since my phone line was enabled for adsl (just under a week) my phone has had noticeable white noise (a sort of rushing water sound) that wasn't there before. The noise is there whether my adsl router is plugged in or not, and with the router unplugged the noise is the same with and without a microfilter/splitter on the phone line. The phone is still usable, but you can definitely tell the difference.
>
> Is this inevitable with adsl? If not, can plusnet help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen Isard

Yes your right, about the noise. But i've only notice it on hands free myself.
fonejacker
Grafter

Hi Stephan,

A small amount of extra noise is to be expected when ADSL is installed on a phone line, this can be quantified using an Analogue modem, generally these connect at 10-20% lower speeds than previously.

In cases where the noise makes a line difficult to use, BT will send an engineer out to check wiring and to make sure the original install was correct.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> > Since my phone line was enabled for adsl (just under a week) my phone has had noticeable white noise (a sort of rushing water sound) that wasn't there before. The noise is there whether my adsl router is plugged in or not, and with the router unplugged the noise is the same with and without a microfilter/splitter on the phone line. The phone is still usable, but you can definitely tell the difference.
> >
> > Is this inevitable with adsl? If not, can plusnet help?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Stephen Isard
>
>
> Yes your right, about the noise. But i've only notice it on hands free myself.

I agree, but I've also noticed that the volume level of the phone has also dropped considerably, in fact it's that bad that I can't carry on a conversation in the same room as the TV which is right at the other side of the room.

Trots
N/A

> In cases where the noise makes a line difficult to use, BT will send an engineer out to check wiring and to make sure the original install was correct.

Well, I don't know whether this counts as difficult, but it's annoying. How do I go about getting it checked? Start with a ticket on your "Contact us" page?

Thanks,

Stephen Isard
N/A

Stephen
Is yours a DECT (digital electronic cordless) phone?
If not have you got an old phone?
I had a problem with my old phone/answering machine and Plusnet suggested that this might have been the problem. As it happens it wasn't that - the old phone functioned perfectly apart from not ringing when plugged into the splitter. I bought a (very) cheap phone which worked perfectly and then a new answering machine when I'd sussed that I needed to pension the old one off

John B

> Since my phone line was enabled for adsl (just under a week) my phone has had noticeable white noise (a sort of rushing water sound) ... whether my adsl router is plugged in or not...with the router unplugged the noise is the same with and without a microfilter/splitter on ... Is this inevitable with adsl? If not, can plusnet help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen Isard

N/A

> Is yours a DECT (digital electronic cordless) phone?

No.

> If not have you got an old phone?

Probably purchased around 1989. Has never given any trouble before.

> I had a problem with my old phone/answering machine and Plusnet suggested that this might have been the problem.

I do have an answering machine, but unplugging it and putting the phone directly into the splitter (or the phone jack when I have the adsl router unplugged) makes no difference. The noise is still there.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Stephen Isard