cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

noise on my telephone line

Neondaze
Grafter

For a few weeks now ( and maybe since I upgraded to a 1mb connection I have been experiencing noise on my telephone line. It is so bad at times that holding a conversation is like shouting down a wind tunnel.

Today I phoned the BT fault number and they confirmed the line is ok. A discussion with them and they went and did some more tests. They confirmed that the problem had to be inside my property.

So I carried out a few tests here - different handsets, different extension sockets, swapped my dsl splitters about.

I discovered that when I am not actually connected to broadband, there is no noise on my line. As soon as I connect my broadband, loads of noise.

I am using a SMC 7404bra modem/router which is fully up to date with firmware.

BT suggested I contact my ISP, but before I raise a ticket I was wondeing if anyone has any suggestions about how I may rectify this problem. I never used to have any noise in all the time I have had broadband (over 2 yearss now).
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Try a different make of ADSL filter/spliter. Some filters are not very good or you may have a bad batch that can't cope with the increased frequency band that a 1Mb connection uses.

The Excelsus Z-420UK-A Dynamic ADSL Microfilter is one of the best around and may perform better than your current filter/splitters.
N/A

Peter is right.

I hade the same problem which was resolved by installing a XTF socket from ADSLNation.

This increased SNR and reduced attenuation as well.

John
Neondaze
Grafter

Thanks for the replys. I have now ordered two new microfilters which should be here sometime this week. Hopefully this will do the trick.

The microfilters are XF-1e's from ADSL Nation. There were a large number of reviews from purchasers of this model, some of which had the same problem as me. All the reviews were very positive so I am very hopeful that this will solve my problem.
Neondaze
Grafter

An Update.

After ordering my new microfilters I lost the dail tone on my phone, although I still had broadband. A call to BT to raise a fault confirmed that I indeed did have a problem. An engineer visited on Tuesday and discovered a loose cable outside of my property. This fixed the problem. A side effect of this was that the noise I had been experiencing on my line disappeared, confirming to me that the noise was indeed a BT problem and not inside my property as they suggested when I first raised the issue with them.

The micro filters arrived the day after the fix, and I am now using them as they are better than the ones I had, but I didn't need them at all.

So if anyone has a similar problem, don't neccessarily accept BT's stock answer 'it's inside your property'.
N/A

Hi area52.

I have noise on my line at only one socket and its started only after installing a XTF socket from ADSLNation. All other sockets are protected by a "looses" ADSL filter which work fine.

I asked ADSLNation what could be the problem but they did not have the courtesy or good manners to reply.
N/A

Chappie..

If you're confident that the wiring is sound, it may be a faulty socket.. Have you tried to RMA it?

I haven't had the need to use AdslNation customer services and so can't really comment.

Regards

John