cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no router config using XP??

redtube
Grafter

I'm already set up with PlusNet via solwise sar110 using my win98SE but now I bought a friends computer with XP on it because I need to make the upgrade to XP at some time or other and using a completely separate computer to do this will allow me to continue broadba\nd connection should problems occur and I been dreading it.
And already the problems already have !
When I attach the cable from the solwise into the ethernet connection on to this other computer I cant reach the 192.168.7.1 address of the solwise router config pages (globespan virata) using the XP Windows Explorer browser but I can using the computer with the win98 OS on it.
Is there something about XP that stops this?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Try using the wizard to setup an internet connection telling it that you will be using an Always On connection

This can be accessed via right clicking on the internet icon, select properties then connections and then the setup button.
N/A

Ignore any of the following that is irrelevant:[list=1]
  • Are you sure the LAN(ethernet) socket on the XP box is switched on in the BIOS, and visible in Network Connections? (Sorry if this is the wrong term, but I'm at home and not using XP)
  • If it's on, can you ping the router once by opening a Command window and pinging the router IP address? The router may think you're trying a Denial Of Service attack and not respond, but you may get a clue whether the connection is working.
  • Is the XP firewall not allowing you to connect to the router? You're on your own there unless an XP user pops up their head and offers advice (Evening, John!). If it's another firewall then examine the settings to see if the router is trusted or not. Does your old 98SE box have a software firewall like ZoneAlarm on it? IF so, it clearly works OK with the router.
  • When you say the XP box can't reach the router, do you mean it times out with an error message, or shows just a white screen in Internet Explorer, with the address of the router in the address box?[/listShocked]
  • N/A

Click Start button, click Run, type CMD then press enter.
    in the black box type ipconfig then press enter hopefully you will see either 192.168.7.Huh <-- last number could be anything except the 1 of your router.
    if you see an address starting with 169.Huh.Huh.Huh then try typing
    ipconfig /renew
    hopefully your router should give you an IP via DHCP.
    if not, close that box, and click on start the control panel (or Start|Settings|Control panel if it is in classic start menu)
    Double click Network connections, then look for an icon called local area connection. Check the message on the second line under the description.
    It will either say Disabled (if it does the right click the icon and select enable)
    Connected or acquiring network address (something similar) then right click it and select properties.
    Double Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select use the following IP address, then put in an address like 192.168.7.20
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.7.1

and in DNS Server put 212.159.6.9

Click apply and OK, then see if you can connect to your router, and the internet.

If you don't have a local area connection icon then you may have the network adapter disabled in the BIOS if it's on board, or the drivers not installed if it's an add on card.

Its a start anyway, let us know the results mate.
    redtube
    Grafter

Hallo again
    thanks to johnessex, ske1fr and just now gdeakin.

Yes the XP firewall is disabled. One of the first things I tried.
    LAN socket is also visible in XP

Seems the connection to plusnet is successful ( returning the correct ip. address and in connections properties its showing some kind of transfer going on) but despite this cant visit any webpages in OE i.e.,the progress bar is slow and then times out.

All plusnets DNS addresses I have entered rather than let it find them automatically.

Yes it times out with the familiar white "server not found" page in IE.
    Any other suggestions?
    Community Veteran

As suggested above can you ping the ip adress of the router and get a response from it?
    redtube
    Grafter

yes john i can ping the router 4 pkts send and received.
    Its OE, it wont bring up url's anything the error messange is page not found but its google and its up.
    dave
    Community Veteran

is IE configured to use a proxy?

Tools -> internet options -> connections tab -> Lan settings -> untick use a proxy... if ticked. Also untick automatically detect settings and use a connection script, if ticked.

Also make sure you set never dial a connection on the previous screen.
    redtube
    Grafter

no proxy is not set, it is unticked
    >>Also untick automatically detect settings and use a connection script, if ticked
    Yes this, automatically detect settings is unticked but what is a connection script?
    are you referring to the static IP and primary/secondary DNS addresses being entered up? cos i got them entered.

Oh yes and "never dial a connection" is set also

My friend who is with UKOnline used the same machine and router and was connected to them merrily. He thinks its a MAC address thing with Plusnet is that a possibility? He's telling me to switch Internet Providers!
    N/A

How long ago was your friend using this router with UKOnline? It couldn't be that BT have its MAC address logged as UKOnline only, surely..what do you think, John?

I know many people say you should set the DNS server addresses manually, but my router, for example, only has three slots for servers, and Plusnet has four, so I set that to auto.

Please check the following: start Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, select Internet Options. Click the Security tab, click the Restricted Sites "No Entry" sign, click the Sites button and tell us if there is anything in there. Keep clicking Cancel to exit the setttings, you know the drill.

One last thing: using Windows Explorer, search in the C: drive for a file called hosts in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ and if you find it, let us know if anything other than

127.0.0.1 localhost

is in it without a # sign at the begining of the line. There should be seven spaces between the 1 and the L of localhost. You can open this file with Notepad to check it. Don't change it., just Exit from Notepad without saving.

We'll crack this problem eventually, centaur.Smiley

PS: OE is Outlook Express, IE is Internet Explorer. I know you mean the latter.
    redtube
    Grafter

Hi ske1fr
    Right, firstly thanks for your help and continued replies.
    Here's an update.
    I phoned and spoke to PNs Tech support this morning. A 10minute wait wasnt too bad, but the 0845 code is 3.5p per minute daytime. Anyway not to quibble too much about that after all some support have far higher access charges than PlusNet.
    The guy I spoke to was very happy and condusive to my plight and I have to say I found the general response quite different to original days of a few years ago the last time I had to contact them. Then I found them quite abrupt in what they would answer and what they wouldnt. Also todays support staff spent as long as it takes with you. In the past there seemed to be a time limit approach with them, not today though, I was on for over half an hour with him. Having said all this he was reading via his script. But one cant expect third level staff at this stage can one Smiley

Netgear Router DG834v2
    Unfortunately and despite the length of time, we went through everything with this router that appeared successfully connected, pings to the server, pings to the router, reboot of router, all showed successful connection (strangely he did not cover XP IE settings though) No pages could be brought up.

Solwise SAR110 Router:
    I then said to him shall I try the Solwise router (known to work ok) in the XP machine He said yes do that but of course I couldnt get to the config pages.
    He came to the conclusion that as I was able to connect to PlusNet on my windows98 machine (the Solwise router, the one I'm using to send these messages) and I couldnt using this on my WindowsXP machine, then a complete reinstall of the windowsXP OS would be the next step to take. The firewall is off of course but something must be blocking.

To try and conclude another problem has now surfaced
    1. I cant reach the Netgear config address using the cd disc in drive to do this when I plug in all the cables on my win98SE machine
    2. I cant reach the config page with the Solwise on the XP machine using 192.168.7.1 in IE, which is the Solwise router configuration address.
    3. I can reach the Netgear config on the XP machine using the cd disc in drive which shows successful connections but alas no pages come up.
    4. I can use the Solwise on my win98SE machine.

So I report back when I done a re install of XP which will be early next week now as I have to shoot off for a few days.
    Oh the joys of having to make the step to XP is so wonderful, er so they say.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Dave
    redtube
    Grafter

ske1fr
    ooops I forgot I havent dealt with your reply quoted below.
    I'll look into your three checks I quote from your post below by early next week as I have to shoot off for a few days. Thanks a million to you all. Hopefull it will be cracked.

[quote]
    How long ago was your friend using this router with UKOnline? It couldn't be that BT have its MAC address logged as UKOnline only, surely..what do you think, John?

I know many people say you should set the DNS server addresses manually, but my router, for example, only has three slots for servers, and Plusnet has four, so I set that to auto.

Please check the following: start Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, select Internet Options. Click the Security tab, click the Restricted Sites "No Entry" sign, click the Sites button and tell us if there is anything in there. Keep clicking Cancel to exit the setttings, you know the drill.

One last thing: using Windows Explorer, search in the C: drive for a file called hosts in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ and if you find it, let us know if anything other than

127.0.0.1 localhost

is in it without a # sign at the begining of the line. There should be seven spaces between the 1 and the L of localhost. You can open this file with Notepad to check it. Don't change it., just Exit from Notepad without saving.

N/A

Dave, don't even think about reinstalling Windows XP until you have tested those three suggestions! They might save you the hassle of reinstalling. And put that firewall back on! It's clearly not the problem.

I'm sure that the problem lies in your web browser settings. One way you could check to see if this is true is by installing another web browser. I personally use and recommend Mozilla Firefox 1.5. You can download this by clicking <here> and selecting and downloading the Firefox Setup 1.5.exe file. For some reason while I'm at work the website does not show the English GB version as standard, despite the fact that I'm running XP Pro with UK settings, so I'm giving you the direct link to the UK GB version. Put the file on a USB memory key or on a CD if you can't use the XP machine to download, and install it with all the default settings.

If you try to use Firefox to access the Netgear router and can see the pages OK, then we know that the problem lies in Internet Explorer. If you still can't see the pages then it's a problem in Windows XP itself, possibly in security settings. Tr my second suggestion (Tools, Internet Options, Security etc.), but if that doesn't work you will need another more XP-knowledgable helper than me! I prefer Linux...Oh, and regarding the CD problem, as the router has already been set up for this country you should not need this, but if the machine has both a CD rewriter and a DVD-ROM drive, try the CD in the other drive! It seemed with my LinkSys that the setup CD would only work in the Master device. I forget now if I had the same issue with the old Netgear.