cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no adsl...again

N/A

no adsl...again

Yet again I come home from work and find my adsl disconnected. Just rebooted my PC and tried to dial up but just get an error - no response - while logging in. And nothing on the service status about todays hiccup.

Great.
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: no adsl...again

> Yet again I come home from work and find my adsl disconnected. Just rebooted my PC and tried to dial up but just get an error - no response - while logging in. And nothing on the service status about todays hiccup.
>
> Great.

I had exactly the same around 8pm, did eventually manage to get a connection but it was sooooooooooooo slooooooooooooow, and many pages just timed out.

Just tried again (10:30pm) and all is back to normal. Seem to get these glitches from time to time - very frustrating.
N/A

Mmmmmm, the more connections I bet the worst things are.

From my experience if you have a USB modem, you get a poor connection speed on most occasions.
Also bear in mind that you should also check to see how busy your tellephone exchange is.
With everyone going broadband in your area with relation to a contention ratio can represent a potential bottleneck with any internet experience.
This means that if all the users within the radius of your area go online then things will get slow.
Only other solution would be is to go ADSL-Satelite.
Only downfall is the price.
So wher do you win I ask?
N/A

Seems like I've got tech support running around chasing their tails.

So far I've been through the "wait a bit and it'll work" line on the phone ("how long is a bit?", "umm...*guess at length of time to fob off customer* should be long enough"), the numerous tickets which ask questions like "have you tried bt_test@startup_domain" (like I didn't try it 10 seconds after I discovered I had a problem, and now I'm onto "re-enter your username and password and try again" ...because I might have got it wrong all 20 times when I've rebooted and redialled.

My mate has been on Zen Internet ADSL for a few months and hasn't had ANY problems with it. Once I move house I'm moving to them.

> > Yet again I come home from work and find my adsl disconnected. Just rebooted my PC and tried to dial up but just get an error - no response - while logging in. And nothing on the service status about todays hiccup.
> >
> > Great.
>
> I had exactly the same around 8pm, did eventually manage to get a connection but it was sooooooooooooo slooooooooooooow, and many pages just timed out.
>
> Just tried again (10:30pm) and all is back to normal. Seem to get these glitches from time to time - very frustrating.

LastRoMan
Grafter

<Big Snip>
> >
> > Just tried again (10:30pm) and all is back to normal. Seem to get these glitches from time to time - very frustrating.
>
Fairly similar here. Support say you used a wrong password - a bit tricky since my software remembers it and I never have to type it in.

They always say uninstall, reinstall, re-boot. I think this is to delay you while PlusNet or BT make known(they think they know what they are doing) or unknown(someone somewhere doees something and things drop into place again)changes.

I cannot understand why *my* software needs re-booting - when it works perfectly well for months on end.

When the "ADSL Line down" flag comes up, isn't that down to BT not making the connection?

But back to the tread - my connection was intermittent Fri 11th and Saturday 12th, a re-install on 13th made no difference.

Today(Friday 18th) I re-installed and got "ADSL connected" straight away - went on line - no probs. Came off line to go out when I got back - powered up and - guess what? "ADSL Line Down".

Re-installed and - hey presto I have it again! It really screws me up. Can anyone suggest what is going on please?

Thanks in advance,

Conard
--
N/A

HI Conard + Everyone else.

I would just like to make a couple of general points first:

1. No One at PlusNet OR BT is interested in fobbing off customers - There is no value in that for any of us, however around 90% of Faults originally reported to us as an "ADSL Problem" are directly attributable to problems with user equipment or configuration.

2. The nature of ADSL, with BT providing the backhaul invariably makes it more difficult to support as we have to fully diagnose that a problem exists with BT before raising a fault report to them. The result if we don't get it right: An "Abortive" fault charge made straight onto YOUR phone bill - See http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Broadband/12131.htm for current pricing.

3. If the problem is actually with Plusnet, the design of the ADSL system suggests that the problem will be experienced by EVERYBODY - Even if the forums represented 0.1% of all users we would still expect to see 30 posts about the same issue if it was a 'generic' problem.

----

From what you are saying, there is either a problem with the DSLAM at the exchange, your line, a your splitters or a problem with your modem / drivers. Each one of these will need to ruled our seperately through a process of elimination.

Given that you have suggested that this has worked for a long time before, and that by re-installing your modem the problem is cured, this does indicate that a fault has developed with your modem. Do you know anyone else who has a different type of ADSL modem you could test?

The last resort really is that we get a BT engineer to come out and test the line with his equipment. if he successfully connects and the line doesn't drop then as I said before BT will simply raise a charge on your bill and move on. If you want us to go down this route please do raise a ticket stating this, and that you understand there is a chance you may be charged by BT.

We do appreciate how frustrating a situation this can be, especially with an intermittant fault like yours. We will do our best to assist with diagnosis, but short of that our hands are pretty much tied until between us, we can identify the cause of your problem.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
LastRoMan
Grafter

> HI Conard + Everyone else.
> <Snipped>
Thanks Ian,
At least I got a response - even if it was not what I wanted to hear it was considered and appropriate.

I think my frustration sometimes spills over and given the opportunity - newsgroups and forums - I let it flow! Even here I usually edit before posting!

I have a tremor - so any tinkering about inside my PC has to be a bought in service - else I am likely to add to the problem! Ironically it was through a forum that I decided on a PCI rather than a stand alone - I won't make the same choice with my next PC.

But I do find less than helpful - a response from Support to my attaching a screen print of my virtual modem showing "flashing lights" telling me that "solid lights" is down to my PC.

I have also started having problems with my Outlook Express being unable to link with the POP3 account and had to get my mail from your server on site. So i think my old PC 450Mhz with Windows XP is getting a bit long in the tooth and am coming to the conclusion that there simply is insufficient memory managemnt and computing power to suit my needs.

Thanks agan,

Conrad