cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie to adsl

N/A

newbie to adsl

No modem yet! Will a PCI modem work as well as USB?
The cheapest one I have seen available in the UK is £39=vat. Are they all much of a muchness? I mean why pay £140 when you can get £100 knocked off the price! Any help?

Thanks,
Melanie
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: newbie to adsl

> No modem yet! Will a PCI modem work as well as USB?
> The cheapest one I have seen available in the UK is £39=vat. Are they all much of a muchness? I mean why pay £140 when you can get £100 knocked off the price! Any help?
>
> Thanks,
> Melanie

Hi,

Yes, they should work fine Smiley Cheaper PCI modems are controllerless, using more of your PC's resources, or you can pay a bit extra for a hardware modem which does its stuff on the card. I went for PCI after reading about power supply problems which can affect some USB modems, although plenty of people are very happy with them.
Check you have the latest drivers when you install, and have a careful read of the setup/configuration info, both PlusNet's (even if the home setup info is aimed at USB modems, both types of kit will need to do the same thing)and the modem manufacturer's. Depending on where you get the modem from, you might even get pre-configured UK ISP setup files, including PlusNet, on CD-ROM.

Hope this helps,

A.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

RE: newbie to adsl

> > No modem yet! Will a PCI modem work as well as USB?
> > The cheapest one I have seen available in the UK is £39=vat. Are they all much of a muchness? I mean why pay £140 when you can get £100 knocked off the price! Any help?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Melanie
>

Yes they will and do, as mine has since April Wink

You just have too configure them properly, so have a look at

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

and

http://www.themad-house.co.uk/
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
@ in #utgames #utchat #uthelp
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017