cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new user installed adsl and pc is slower than ever

N/A

:roll: HELP!!! i have just connected to plusnet adsl and im havin problems on the net my pc is slower than ever before when visiting web sites and only downloads half a page what makes me annoyed is that my pc warranty people say its not their hardware and plus net say its the hard ware...what i find most amusing is that the modem has not passed MS HCL test...meanwhile back at the ranch...we have a very dissatisfied plusnet customer who is paying for something that he has no use of..and is being bounced around like a ball in a bulls and lakers game....Pleaseeeeeeeeee....can we solve this problem.
23 REPLIES
N/A

A few more details about your set up might help, but i'd try using an other browser either Opera or Mozilla.

Are you sending and reciving email all right? Does it stop loading half way through every page or just some?

What connection speed does your adsl modem(?) say its connected at?
N/A

Sad im using the packard bell browser..and also i have looked at secuerity setting and even uninstalled norton and still....asp!!php!!! sorry im lost and not embarresed by not knowing.....help !!
N/A

I'll start with the easy question.

ASP is Active Server Pages, a microsfot scripting/ programming lanaguage for devloping websites.

PHP is an open source and far superior equivalent.

How old is your PC? Just the last pacardbell PC i had to fix was so old it barely ran its usb ports. What sort of ADSL modem do you have?
N/A

Btw - I think he was referring to your signature. Anything underneath a line like that is someone's signature - it's nothing to do with the post, you can ignore it Smiley
N/A

I had this problem.

Was due to me leaving a phone connected to an extension without a splitter on it.

Webpages wouldn't even download. Put a splitter on and sorted!!

If this don't work suggest plugging straight into main phone point with only modem connected.

Paul.
N/A

my packard bell is less than a year old...
N/A

i use a laptop aswell and when i plug the modem into the LT it works perfectly..when i plug it into the PC it dosent download at all and if it doese it will only show half a page..i believe that it is the PC something is dripfeeding information..i have also uninstalled norton and still the prob persist i have also downloaded the welchia worm repair file and still no joy...help!!
nickthesurfer
Grafter

upto 10 x slower

I'm having the same problems. Just installed adsl modem & I can't load even a page. Tried the modem on both my pc & laptop (laptop only 2 months old) & nothing happens. My old dail-up connection is actually 100 x faster ....... that's not right! Evil

Nick
N/A

Had the same problem, turned out to be my Sky Digi Box !!
I had a splitter connected on it aswell !! Disconnected the Sky box now, and all is ok. I have heard of the same problem with some Digital cordless phones.
nickthesurfer
Grafter

slow slow slow

Pretty sure I have tried connecting with every possible combination of splitter/phone/modem there is but I will re-look at the splitter/phone combination. Don't have sky so that can't be the problem.
Have downloaded the Opera browser & will see if that works any better.

Tech help really aren't helping! Evil

Nick Cry
Community Veteran

Have look at the new forum for Tutorials and FAQ I have put an article in there for wiring and filters which will help anyone to check that they have the filters / wiring layout correct.
N/A

Guys,

I know this may sound stupid, but try it if its applicable.

When I was with another ISP (BB from hell) I was getting speeds at less than dial-up. So I went researching on the net to find any cause .... do you have your old 56k modem still attached to your computer? Not laptop! If its a PCI take it out, if a pnp disable it, you will find your speeds (hopefully) getting back to an adsl connection.

The fault with mine was my ISP, but I did read the article about the change of speed after removing or unplugging the 56k modem.

Hope this helps

Witty Smiley
Community Veteran

No
I still have my 56 k modem in the machine here and can use that to send faxes or go on line if ADSL falls over and my speeds are normal.
So im afraid that is not the answer.
N/A

John,

All I can say is it worked for some people. The thread was in the adslguide forum. Maybe older computers, but it didn't specify. Just trying to help Wink

Cass aka witty Cheesy