cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new try at old problem...

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

I've had this since I joined PlusNet broadband (using AOL's BT Voyager ADSL modem) - but didn't ever get a solution. It's not life savingly urgent... just annoying Evil

I have a second icon on the taskbar (another set of little computer screens) when I power up the PC, which just sits there saying 'aquiring network address' but never does? If I click on OE or IE icon it connects perfectly but the icon stays although it's joined by the connected one too!

If I go in and disable it I get no connection at all, although in the network connections window there is a broadband one called PlusNet as well.
Everything seems to be working, but why is this showing and how do I get rid of it?

Once I'm connected for a bit I can open the network connections window, right click and open properties. In the window which opens I click properties on Clent for Microsoft Networks and close it without changing anything, and then do the same with the fourth option - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties & then close, and then close the whole window. That seems to force it to connect properly and the extra icon goes and it says connected in the window.

There is an option to repair but that always comes back with a fault saying it couldn't aquire the address and to contact the ISP.

Sorry it's jumbled but I think I've covered everything.... ask away if not.

Thanks,
11 REPLIES
N/A

I think you have got a "1394 Connection" or "Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection" running on your notification area, which is "aquiring network address" but is taking its time because you don't have a network set up, if you want to, you can disable the "device" which will speed up your pc on start up to desk top or you can, untick the "show icon in notification area when connected."

If you can take a screen shot, hit print screen and paste image using a paint program that would help, and upload here http://www.imageshack.us/

"broadband one called PlusNet " should be under the title "Dial up"

It's best to keep things simple, you have one ISP for Broadband do away with the garbage software that comes with AOL or BTyahoo all ya need is your username and password, and a shortcut to your desktop or start menu.

Just setup your connection manually,

New Connection Wizard / connect to the internet / setup my connection manually / connect using a dial-up modem / fill in the details.

As above is the way mine is connected using ISDN channel.

See here

Moderator's note by Chris (fa55dsl): Changed the picture to a url, it was a big image and will take time to load for anyone on dialup.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Thanks for that... if I've done it right it's here -

http://img119.exs.cx/img119/1781/untitled15qm.jpg

I've got 'show icon' unticked already, but it only goes away when I've forced it to connect by the rather long procedure detailed above. If I disable it ,the lights go off on my modem and I can't connect. It's as if I need both to be there but that's probably because I set it up wrongly in the beginning Shockedops:

The one benefit of AOHell was that it set up everything for simpletons like me - mind you hell to find and get rid of all the stuff that stays on your PC when you delete it :roll:

Thanks for the help so far, maybe help is at hand....

EDIT: Just realised the screen print was before I connected to PlusNet so normally if I'm on line the top one says connected too and the bottom one will as well (unless I haven't got round to doing the tasks listed to force it)
N/A

http://www.voyager.bt.com/

Right thats the site so you can download new drivers, i dont know why you have a USB LOCAL Area connection have never had a voyager modem before so i dont know if it is needed, have had a USB Alcatel modem and it used Dial up ISDN channel - USB Alcatel modem.

Upload a picture of your Device manager and click on the tree of the network adapters to open it up.

What i would do, is to check to see if you have a network adapter in device manger, if you do then that must be it, but setup to access the internet through your USB modem which is not needed. You could diable it or delete it, but check first, in device manager.

1. Download the drivers,

http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb105/pcdownload_install.htm

Explains how to install drviers, if your USB modem is not 105 then click to http://www.voyager.bt.com/

2. Remove current drivers delete "plusnet Broadband" and delete local area connection and start from a fresh picture.

Just setup your connection manually,

New Connection Wizard / connect to the internet / setup my connection manually / connect using a dial-up modem / fill in the details.

It just looks like to me you have tryed to set up a dialup connection through the wizard a couple of times till you got it to work, thats my best guess, cause the way it should work is that if the drviers are installed, it should show up in ADD/Remove programs that the drivers were installed and the Device manager should have in it Network Adapters showing USB modem, then by setting up a connection you go through the wizard and it should select the device dialup-modem.

On setting up manually and you get to the point of the phone number just put in 000000 and when it is done click properties on the new connection and see the general tap for connect using: ISDN channel - USB voyager modem.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

http://img145.exs.cx/img145/377/untitled3ob.png

should be what you asked for...I think, I'll maybe wait to see what you make of all that before I delete everything and start again Shockedops:
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Lucky white heather anyoneHuh

That was a bl**dy nightmare Evil Evil

In the absense of nmcclurkin (thanks so far by the way) I decided to go ahead and try it.

First download of drivers - the zip file was corrupted... but I didn't find that out before I'd deleted everything else Sad

Managed to get back on with old AOL disc & a call to helpline. Downloaded BT file again and MADE SURE it unzipped this time. Seemed fine so deleted everything again.

Went to unzipped file, clicked on setup and got - Run time error, abnormal program termination Evil :twisted: Evil

Back on with the AOL/BT drivers again (and the double icon problem is still there by the way)
Any thoughts anyone or a nice simple solution?
N/A

Okay you got it working again, its hard to explain over the internet it be much better if i was infront of the PC, i would like to read other peoples views on the matter cause have looked at that device manager and i can not see why there is so many Wan Miniports, the only things in there i see right is the direct Parallel adapter the GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem + packet scheduler Miniport.

Got to ask, your connecting the modem up to your Pc via USB cable or Cat5 cable? cos if it is cat5 then you need the network lan running, in that case you need the second connection icon on task area.

But if it is USB then you just need the dial up, have takin a look at the picture i don't see a built in 10/100mb network lan card, so i take it you dont one.

It strange to see a USB modem with so many things in device manager.

the only other thing to do is to get another modem, get a loan of one and see if the problem is still there cause that modem is tied in to the network for some reason.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Yes it's a USB connection. I'm wondering if it's something the AOL drivers disc is adding - do they connect a different way?
It's a real bummer I can't get the ones off the BT website to load - that would have answered that one... unless anybody can email me them or has a spare disc they could copy? Any guesses why I got that error message?

One thing, when I printed out the device manager I clicked it to show hidden devices - maybe that's why there are so many?

Thanks again anyway,
N/A

Ah that explains the extra information in device manager.

About Drivers, Did you download the correct drivers?

I downloaded drivers from BT to see if the setup ran on my computer and it did, so try again if you want.
About the message you were getting, the cause can be from AOL, it might be, not what your problem was but i seen AOL and thought that maybe the drivers/software of AOL install wasn't removed correctly.

"Runtime Error. Abnormal Program Termination." Error Message Appears When Connecting to the Internet"

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316512

"Runtime Error. Abnormal Program Termination." that message to me means that you have not got the correct drivers or haven't uninstalled the old drivers.

Try downloading reg cleaner below, its free, go to tools "registry cleanup" Do them all, delete but keep the back up, its on the right hand side and can easliy be restored, also on the software tab, you can look for AOL software and remove it, you should use this reg cleaner to help to remove AOL software and reg entries, also you will need to go in to c:programs files and remove the AOL folder which might be there after uninstalling the software.

http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

About Drivers, Did you download the correct drivers? Yes, the ones from your link.

"Runtime Error. Abnormal Program Termination." Error Message Appears When Connecting to the Internet" No I got that message when I tried to install the new BT drivers, not connecting to the internet.

Try downloading reg cleaner below, its free, go to tools "registry cleanup" Do them all, delete but keep the back up, its on the right hand side and can easliy be restored, also on the software tab, you can look for AOL software and remove it, you should use this reg cleaner to help to remove AOL software and reg entries, also you will need to go in to c:programs files and remove the AOL folder which might be there after uninstalling the software. I already have a program called 'Regedit' so all of AOL has long gone - took a while, but all gone! With the possible exception of the BT drivers which I'm having to take off the AOL broadband disc. I'm not running the full install of the whole disc though, I go to the drivers folder and click setup from there. It is working, because here I am, but I just wonder if there is anything else in there because the menu which comes up when you double click the 2 green arrows doesn't look the exact same as the BT web page diagram, and does have an AOL test connection button (although it doesn't work). I have asked BT for a copy CD but had no reply!

Any other thoughts appreciated, thanks again,
N/A

About the message you were getting, the cause can be from AOL, it might be, not what your problem was but i seen AOL and thought that maybe the drivers/software of AOL install wasn't removed correctly.

I did explain, but not every problem is exact, but in general the message You Got "Runtime Error. Abnormal Program Termination." is because something isn't working right for that to appear, there is a reason.

Goodluck in getting it sorted, it can be fixed but i dont have the straight forward answer because i have never came across that particular problem, i still think it is something that has been created by the user at some stage and doesn't need to be there.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Thanks nmcclurkin, I think you're right, it's probably something I've done... I just don't know what :roll:
By the way, I don't have Regedit at all - it's called RegscrubXP - free and seems good!
I still think a CD of the BT disc is my best option, if only I could find one. Think I'll phone them on Monday.