cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to networking,advice?

N/A

new to networking,advice?

hi!
I have a solwise110 router which is working fine.
I want to connect another pc to the one I'm using to share files/drives and broadband.
I know that in order to do this I need a hub of some sort and a crossover cable or cables but I'm not so clear on connecting the router to what,
how many cables,which types..etc
both pc's have rj45 connections running win2k.
anyone enlighten me?
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: new to networking,advice?

Hi There,

This is going to take a tiny bit of reading on your part!

I would start here:

http://www.homenethelp.com/network/ethernet.asp

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer support
N/A

If its a single port router you need a hub and 3 straight cables.
Put simple you plug your pc's into th ehub and the hub uplink into the router.
All you pc have a network ip in the same range as the router and you set their default gateway to the routers ip.

> hi!
> I have a solwise110 router which is working fine.
> I want to connect another pc to the one I'm using to share files/drives and broadband.
> I know that in order to do this I need a hub of some sort and a crossover cable or cables but I'm not so clear on connecting the router to what,
> how many cables,which types..etc
> both pc's have rj45 connections running win2k.
> anyone enlighten me?

N/A

thanx I'll give it a go.
the solwise is a single port but the manual says a crossover cable is needed to put in the hub.
the straight cables you talk of,are they simple patch cables?

> If its a single port router you need a hub and 3 straight cables.
> Put simple you plug your pc's into th ehub and the hub uplink into the router.
> All you pc have a network ip in the same range as the router and you set their default gateway to the routers ip.
>
>
> > hi!
> > I have a solwise110 router which is working fine.
> > I want to connect another pc to the one I'm using to share files/drives and broadband.
> > I know that in order to do this I need a hub of some sort and a crossover cable or cables but I'm not so clear on connecting the router to what,
> > how many cables,which types..etc
> > both pc's have rj45 connections running win2k.
> > anyone enlighten me?
>
>

N/A

> the solwise is a single port but the manual says a crossover cable is needed to put in the hub.
> the straight cables you talk of,are they simple patch cables?

The cable that came with the router, that you use for connecting the computer to the router directly, is a straight cable. That cable won't work for connecting a hub to the router, as the manual says. You need a crossover cable for that. Then you can use straight cables for connecting your computers to the hub. (That's how it worked for me, at least.)

Stephen Isard
N/A

>
> > the solwise is a single port but the manual says a crossover cable is needed to put in the hub.
> > the straight cables you talk of,are they simple patch cables?
>
> The cable that came with the router, that you use for connecting the computer to the router directly, is a straight cable. That cable won't work for connecting a hub to the router, as the manual says. You need a crossover cable for that. Then you can use straight cables for connecting your computers to the hub. (That's how it worked for me, at least.)
>
> Stephen Isard
>

You use a stright cable from router to hub as long as it is connected to the uplink port on the hub. You only use a crossover if the router is connected to a std port on the hub-not the uplink. Thats how mine is set up and it works fine. Just remember to stealth the open ports 21,23 and 80.
N/A

> >
> > > the solwise is a single port but the manual says a crossover cable is needed to put in the hub.
> > > the straight cables you talk of,are they simple patch cables?
> >
> > The cable that came with the router, that you use for connecting the computer to the router directly, is a straight cable. That cable won't work for connecting a hub to the router, as the manual says. You need a crossover cable for that. Then you can use straight cables for connecting your computers to the hub. (That's how it worked for me, at least.)
> >
> > Stephen Isard
> >
>
> You use a stright cable from router to hub as
> long as it is connected to the uplink port on
> the hub. You only use a crossover if the router > is connected to a std port on the hub-not the
> uplink. Thats how mine is set up and it works
> fine. Just remember to stealth the open ports
> 21,23 and 80.

Alternatively use non standard ftp/http ports and discard telnet for ssh on port 22