cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new customer?

N/A

new customer?

hi there..ive been a customer now for only a few days.and am very happy with it so far..whats the expected spped i will get,as it keeps changing everytime i log on.(which i know it will do this for a few days till it knows the speed i can handle) but whats the average speed people are getting?
im on the option 2 service with 8gb pre paid usage..
thanks.
gary.
6 REPLIES
Aterlatus
Grafter

new customer?

There's too many factors involved in your final speed so it's really hard to say. If you're close to your exchange and you're normally syncing close to 8mbps then that's what you'll likely get. Live a bit further away from it and you can expect about 4mbps, or down towards 2 if it's a far way.

If you look at http://www.speedtester.bt.com (when it works, terrible site that) then it'll tell you what your IP Profile is, which is the highest speed you'll achieve regardless of sync speeds.

Generally because of the way traffic is shaped at plus I've never noticed anything running slower than full speed. There's always been some other factor slowing things down (lack of seeds on torrents, slow servers and the like).
N/A

new customer?

thanks for the reply ive just done the bt speedtest my results are as follows= IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4320 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2749 kbps...
so is this good or not?
thanks again.
gary.
N/A

new customer?

Actualy distance is irrelevant its all down to your line quality.
You can be 3 miles from you exchange and get 8meg or be next door to the exchange and get 100k .. its all down to line noise.

Theres afew things you can do to improve your connection at your end.
Buy a good router .. most routers can hold a connection better than a modem.
Make sure your plugged into the master phone socket with as few things connected to it as possible.
Rip the NTE5 socket faceplate off and plug your router into the internal socket (speaking from experience i got and extra 5db from doing this)
DON'T use an extension line .. my brother has a terrible connection because he has to use an extension line.*rollseyes*
N/A

new customer?

oh btw you'll be in the training period so your speed will be up and down for 10 days or so.
Nothing to worry about as it will settle down after that.
Aterlatus
Grafter

new customer?

I know someone who lived over the road from their exchange but actually had about 3 miles worth of phone line between them and the exchange - when I say distance I don't mean as the crow flies. Sorry if that was confusing ;p
N/A

new customer?

Theres been afew cases on these very forums of users being 'next door' to the exchange and having terrible speeds even the CSR's say distance is meaningless.
Aslong as your in the 3 mile or so radius to actualy get DSL the rest is down to line quality and how much noise is on your line.
Personaly i'm 2.1 miles from my exchange in phoneline distance (spoke to a BT engineer who told me this) and i get a cracking speed (7meg) with very little line noise.