cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

networking query

N/A

networking query

hi guys, i'm relativly new to this networking stuff and just wanted to clarify a few things...

i'm on adsl with the 3com router (nastly little piece of work that it is) and have it running thru a 5 port switch to 3 pcs in the house (all on win9Cool

does this router have any kind of firewall capabilitys?, some of the pcs have been running without any firewall software on them and seem to be riddled with virii/trojans. the one with blackice on seems much less badly infected (altho there are still a few infected files) so i'm guessing not...

having now installed zonealarm on all three pcs i am having bother with file sharing.
the default setting for ZA to have the comuters own internal ip address set to internet, this way i cannot access the internal network.
should i set addresses from 192.168.200.1 to 192.168.200.5 as trusted?, or is this going to allow outsiders access thru my router as well?

also, i read that the replacment router has firewall capabilitys... does this mean i do not need local firewalls on each pc?

many thanks,
a confised plusnet user

1 REPLY
N/A

RE: networking query

All router have a crude firewall as they do a NAT (network adress translation) What this means is that if your internal ip is 192.168.200.5 it doesnt go out onto the internet. What the internet sees is your ip from +net ie 212.113.121.1 and that is all they see so they cant attack your internal network as they dont know the ip of any pc inside the router.

It is possable to hack past the router but its very difficult and its doubtfull if anyone would bother.
You can test your network by going to my page
http://www.mwright.plus.com/drivec.htm and there are links to lots of test.

You set zone alarm to trust the ip of the local network either by range or each ip.

If you have viruses and trojens its more likely that the have been on one pc and spread internaly and not come from the internet.

I wouldnt expect to find loads of problems because you should scan your pcs weekly and the anti virus software should pick them up anyway. A lot of infections may note be anything some AV pick on on key words and trigger wrongly(better safe than sorry).

If you get a router with a firewall you dont need local firewalls but its worth having anyway. Remember the worm on the net last year? We had 2 cisco £10,000 firewalls in place and the worm came straight through as it was using port 80 which had to be open for the webserver.

> hi guys, i'm relativly new to this networking stuff and just wanted to clarify a few things...
>
> i'm on adsl with the 3com router (nastly little piece of work that it is) and have it running thru a 5 port switch to 3 pcs in the house (all on win9Cool
>
> does this router have any kind of firewall capabilitys?, some of the pcs have been running without any firewall software on them and seem to be riddled with virii/trojans. the one with blackice on seems much less badly infected (altho there are still a few infected files) so i'm guessing not...
>
> having now installed zonealarm on all three pcs i am having bother with file sharing.
> the default setting for ZA to have the comuters own internal ip address set to internet, this way i cannot access the internal network.
> should i set addresses from 192.168.200.1 to 192.168.200.5 as trusted?, or is this going to allow outsiders access thru my router as well?
>
> also, i read that the replacment router has firewall capabilitys... does this mean i do not need local firewalls on each pc?
>
> many thanks,
> a confised plusnet user
>
>