cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

networking fand sharing family PC's

N/A

:?:

Have hit a problem when trying to network 3 PC's; essentially to try to share our ADSL connection;

The modem is the standard USB, Binatone ADSL500 unit. If I enable the integrated Realtek RTL 8139/810x family fast etherenet NIC in the pc, ( a shuttle SK43g,) the USB modem stops working. the only cure is to then disable the NIC , reboot the PC and reinstall the USB modem. There is obviouly a conflict between devices here, has anyone any idea of the preoces required to enable them both to run happily together?

I have an idea it involves setting Ip and mAc addresses tothe NIC that do not conflict with the USB modem, but am not sure where to begin.

Thanks

reply to gps@smout.co.uk
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It would save you a lot trouble and make life so much easier if you were to bin the USB modem and get yourself a router.
They make sharing the ADSL and networking that much eisier, and you don't have to have the main PC on all the time.

You can pick up a 4 port router now for as little as £40 see http://www.scan.co.uk
gpsmout
Grafter

Cool

yes i'm coming to that conclusion!

Thanks
Community Veteran

It's doable for 2 PCs but not for 3. You really do need a router.

A good cheap model for about £30 is the ORIGO ASR8400 available from www.ebuyer.com. For more expensive models the Netgear DG834 will do the job for about £70.

If you want to go the wireless route then the Netgear DG834G or Linksys WAG54G is recommended, both around £100 + cost of WiFi cards for the remote PC(s).
gpsmout
Grafter

thanks for al your advice; we already have some kind of router with 4 network ports and a WAN port plus a serial connection. CAn anyone recommend an ethernet broadband modem , shoudl there be such a device?

Graham Smout
Community Veteran

Yes, the only one I know of is the D-Link DSL300T but it's more expensive than many all in one ADSL modem/routers at around £50. If you are prepared to pay £50 for that, I suggest you just buy the Origi ASR8400 as it will be much simpler to setup and get working than 2 devices as you would have with the DSL300T + your router.
zpeterk
Grafter

I can recommend a 300T and there are down to £37 now