cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

networking PC's Win98se and XP and D Link 504

N/A

networking PC's Win98se and XP and D Link 504

I have a D-link 504 (combined router, and adsl modem, which is connected to broadband. From two of the ports I have 1 PC running win XP Pro and from the other machine I am using Win 98se. Both machines are working happily talking and downloading from the net. BUT.... I can't get file sharing to work or networking to work. I initially ran the network wizard on the XP machine; selecting residatnial gateway as my connection. Then followed all the instructions on screen and then placed the floppy that was created by XP into my Win98se machine all seemed to go OK. I rebooted both machines as requested. My problem is that when I go to network neighbourhood in Win98se I do not have an icon for my XP machine!! and when I click on "entire network" it says "unable to browse the network" then mysteriously an icon with my machine then appears in the network neighbourhood. But still not the other XP machine.When I go to the XP machine it says "The network path is not found" I have gone to MSDOS prompt and tried using the ping command, which shows that both computers are talking to each other. (i.e. 192.168.0.1 and 2 and 3, which relates to the 504, the XP and the Win machine). I have tried re wizarding to see if this cures the problem all to no avail. Can NE1 help, before I pull out all my hair! thanks Alan
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: networking PC's Win98se and XP and D Link 504

I see similar things with my network (504 router, W2K box, winMe box, XP pro box) Presumably you've got them on the same workgroup? Try "finding" the other machines from your windows explorer. Use the ip address if the machine name doesnt work. This works for me, even though one of the boxes isn't configured with the same workgroup.
I think the reason for this us that windows peer-to-peer networking (ie without a domain controller) is crap....

> I have a D-link 504 (combined router, and adsl modem, which is connected to broadband. From two of the ports I have 1 PC running win XP Pro and from the other machine I am using Win 98se. Both machines are working happily talking and downloading from the net. BUT.... I can't get file sharing to work or networking to work. I initially ran the network wizard on the XP machine; selecting residatnial gateway as my connection. Then followed all the instructions on screen and then placed the floppy that was created by XP into my Win98se machine all seemed to go OK. I rebooted both machines as requested. My problem is that when I go to network neighbourhood in Win98se I do not have an icon for my XP machine!! and when I click on "entire network" it says "unable to browse the network" then mysteriously an icon with my machine then appears in the network neighbourhood. But still not the other XP machine.When I go to the XP machine it says "The network path is not found" I have gone to MSDOS prompt and tried using the ping command, which shows that both computers are talking to each other. (i.e. 192.168.0.1 and 2 and 3, which relates to the 504, the XP and the Win machine). I have tried re wizarding to see if this cures the problem all to no avail. Can NE1 help, before I pull out all my hair! thanks Alan
>

N/A

Tried thru explorer no joy. Thanks anyway. Crap... I believe...
N/A

> Tried thru explorer no joy. Thanks anyway. Crap... I believe...

go to the microcrap website....millions of people have this issue...infact I have got it too. The only way I found around it was to search for pc. No workgroups appear even though they are named the same. I just created a folder with other pc name on it and can now browse the other pc. Inet sharing works absolutely perfect though so I think it's just Bill gates' poor software Sad

Good luck

--
Homerlovesbeer mmmmmmmmmm beer
N/A

Hi,

just read your post, I can understand your situation very well, however networking is such a big issue, there are so many things that can be affecting the situation so don't expect to get quite the quick fix answer you are after, People can't give a direct answer to such a wide problem as my network doesn't work. Stick with it though and you'll get there. Connecting a Win9x Box to a WinXP/2k box is easy and should work fairly simply, however the other way arround I've always found to be a pain in the ass, it's not often I need that so I've never bothered pursuing it in detail.

From what you have said, it appears that TCP/IP is correctly installed and all your hardware is working correctly, however you can't see other computers on the network. (Having said that, I have had a case where machines would ping eachother but not browse and it turned out to be that I needed to manually assign an IRQ address to the NIC in the BIOS)

see if you can connect to the WinXP box from the Win98 Box manually with this syntax

\\computername\sharename

You don't mention what files or folders you have shared however

I'll assume that you've called your WinXP machine WINXPBOX and your Win98 machine WIN98BOX, and the IP address for WINXP is 192.168.0.2 WIN98BOX is 192.168.0.3 You should know what you have actually called them yourself

On the Win98 Machine Click Start > Run and type the following

\\WINXPBOX\C$

(C$ is the default admin sharename for the local drive CSmiley

What should happen is you will be prompted to log on, This may not happen immediately, leave it for a few mins to see what happens - enter a valid username & password from the WinXP machine and you should be able to see the contents of your hard drive.

If that doesn't work, try replacing the computername with the IP address

eg; \\192.168.0.3\C$

Again, you should be prompted to login but leave for a good few mins before thinking it hasn't worked, you should get a result or an error. "NOTHING!" will not happen

the results of this should help you get more specific advice

Couple of things to check

Check was do you have file and print sharing enabled on both machines - disable, reboot, reenable and reboot as a matter of course

The workgroup on both machines is the same and the ComputerName on both machines is different (I'd suggest renaming and rebooting both computers - Call your WinXP machine WINXPBOX and your Win98 machine WIN98BOX and change the workgroup name to WORKGROUP - You can alter them back later if you so desire)

Ensure that you have the same username and password on BOTH machines and you are loged on to both machines with that account - create a new account on both machines with the same details as a matter of course

If all else fails, try setting up the network manually from scratch (I have an aversion to wizards, especially for doing something as complicated as networking) - Give yourself a level playing feild first, do a system restore to before you ran the wizard on the XP box and uninstall and reinstall your NIC drivers and TCP/IP stack on the W98 machine. then set up TCP/IP manually on both, assign user accounts, computernames and workgroups on both machines. There are bags of sites arround that will give you a tutorial on setting up a network manually

Still no joy, try your hardware vendors/manufacturers for support, may be a wild issue like the fix the IRQ addy I mentioned

hope these ideas will help you to solve your problems,

Jay

N/A

> Hi,
>
> just read your post, I can understand your situation very well, however networking is such a big issue, there are so many things that can be affecting the situation so don't expect to get quite the quick fix answer you are after, People can't give a direct answer to such a wide problem as my network doesn't work. Stick with it though and you'll get there. Connecting a Win9x Box to a WinXP/2k box is easy and should work fairly simply, however the other way arround I've always found to be a pain in the ass, it's not often I need that so I've never bothered pursuing it in detail.
>
> From what you have said, it appears that TCP/IP is correctly installed and all your hardware is working correctly, however you can't see other computers on the network. (Having said that, I have had a case where machines would ping eachother but not browse and it turned out to be that I needed to manually assign an IRQ address to the NIC in the BIOS)
>
> see if you can connect to the WinXP box from the Win98 Box manually with this syntax
>
> \computername\sharename
>
> You don't mention what files or folders you have shared however
>
> I'll assume that you've called your WinXP machine WINXPBOX and your Win98 machine WIN98BOX, and the IP address for WINXP is 192.168.0.2 WIN98BOX is 192.168.0.3 You should know what you have actually called them yourself
>
> On the Win98 Machine Click Start > Run and type the following
>
> \WINXPBOX\C$
>
> (C$ is the default admin sharename for the local drive CSmiley
>
> What should happen is you will be prompted to log on, This may not happen immediately, leave it for a few mins to see what happens - enter a valid username & password from the WinXP machine and you should be able to see the contents of your hard drive.
>
> If that doesn't work, try replacing the computername with the IP address
>
> eg; 2.168.0.3\C$
>
> Again, you should be prompted to login but leave for a good few mins before thinking it hasn't worked, you should get a result or an error. "NOTHING!" will not happen
>
> the results of this should help you get more specific advice
>
> Couple of things to check
>
> Check was do you have file and print sharing enabled on both machines - disable, reboot, reenable and reboot as a matter of course
>
> The workgroup on both machines is the same and the ComputerName on both machines is different (I'd suggest renaming and rebooting both computers - Call your WinXP machine WINXPBOX and your Win98 machine WIN98BOX and change the workgroup name to WORKGROUP - You can alter them back later if you so desire)
>
> Ensure that you have the same username and password on BOTH machines and you are loged on to both machines with that account - create a new account on both machines with the same details as a matter of course
>
> If all else fails, try setting up the network manually from scratch (I have an aversion to wizards, especially for doing something as complicated as networking) - Give yourself a level playing feild first, do a system restore to before you ran the wizard on the XP box and uninstall and reinstall your NIC drivers and TCP/IP stack on the W98 machine. then set up TCP/IP manually on both, assign user accounts, computernames and workgroups on both machines. There are bags of sites arround that will give you a tutorial on setting up a network manually
>
> Still no joy, try your hardware vendors/manufacturers for support, may be a wild issue like the fix the IRQ addy I mentioned
>
> hope these ideas will help you to solve your problems,
>
> Jay
>
>

N/A

Try www.practicallynetworked.com loads of info on there about various setups

Cheers

J

--
very funny Mr Spock ! Now beam me down my clothes !
N/A

If you can ping both machines then this proves there is nothing wrong with the network cards or TCPIP.

Have you got file/resource sharing turned on both machines?
N/A

Thanks everybody for your help.

Working, Working,Working. Hoo..Raay.Smiley

What I did>> On Win98SE
1. Using ControlPanel>Networks add File and printer sharing and Client add Microsoft network
2. Select your NIC card on TCP/IP Then>Properties>IP address. Ck the box "specify an IP address" Type in 192.168.0.3 (or the number of your computer.It may be 0.2) and 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask.
3. Select gateway and type in 192.168.0.1. (This is the main port for adsl 504) and press ADD. numbers will move to lower window.
4.Select WINS and ck Disable Wins resolution.
5.select DNS Config Ck enable and add your DNS Servers numbers That are obtained from your ISP. If you dont know them go to Programs>MSDOS prompt. At prompt type "winipcfg /all" dont use parenthesis and dont forget the space after winipcfg. The dialogue box will show your DNS server .Take note of the number then select the ellipse at side of number for the second DNS server. exit out of DOS prompt.
6. (Still in Network>properties>TCP/IP your netNIC card) Select Advanced tab and ck Set this protocol as default.
7. Select Bindings tab Ck client and File and print sharing.
8. Select Access tab Ck Share level access.
9.VERY IMPORTANT. Select ID tab Use existing computer name. (It will come up automatically), or change to your own name. Then in Workgroups. Change MSHOME to Workgroup. THIS IS A MUST. select description and enter whatever you like e.g. bedroom.
10. select OK and OK again to get you back to the desktop. You will get a message to reboot. Go ahead.

On XP machine select same tabs on network and make the same changes.Except that your computer IP setting will be different e.g 192.168.0.2

Back to Win 98se
11. Select Network Neighbourhood and wait, and wait Have a cup of tea. for 5-15 mins.
12. Zone Alarm will ask for access say yes and tick always remember box
13 Go to Zone alarm and look in ZONES. select your IP addresses that may have been "blocked" click on them and change to trusted. Do the same on the XP machine.
14. Reboot
15. Select files or drives that you want to share and right click select share.
16. Happy networking!!!!!
17. Remember when you load Network Neighbourhood it takes a while to load on Win98se.