cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network shared connection

N/A

I would like to share my connection over my home network
I set up a network between the 2 computers as usual.
But when I try to share the connection I get this error

anyone able to point out where I'm going wrong?
15 REPLIES
N/A

The machine is trying to use an IP address that is allready in use aby another machine.
N/A

If memory serves, winxp ICS requires that all client machines obtain IPs via DHCP. In other words, you need to set all clients to 'obtain ip address automatically' rather than specifying IP addresses for them.
N/A

its already set as that ^^;;
N/A

I have never used ICS, so my only sugestion is ICS may be trying to assign the machine an IP that is allready in use.

Does ICS provide options for increasing the number of addresses available for lease?
N/A

Hi,

Do you already have 192.168.0.1 configured on another interface on that machine? (ipconfig from a command prompt should give it away).

Regards,
D'Essen
N/A

it says the IP addy is 192.168.0.6
N/A

Oh well, there goes that theory!

How was this IP Address set? Manually I'm guessing?

From what I recall, XP will insist that it has the address 192.168.0.1 when configured for ICS.

The only other suggestion I have then are
a) ensure this address doesn't exist elsewhere (so you're not clashing) - though you did say earlier that the other machines where set to obtain an address automatically, so this shouldn't be an issue.

b) remove the existing IP address configured, before trying to enable ICS, (so that the machine thinks it has a clean slate to work with).

Regards,
D'Essen
N/A

both machines, and both the LAN connection and the Internet connection are all finding the IP address automatically
N/A

can I set an IP address and DNS address on them?
would that help?
N/A

That could be your problem. As essen said, the host machine needs to have an ip address of 192.168.0.1 specified.
N/A

Hi,

Excuse me for a being a little puzzled here. However from the way I see it, the following two statements don't add up.

both machines, and both the LAN connection and the Internet connection are all finding the IP address automatically

it says the IP addy is 192.168.0.6

My immediate question is, where did the 192.168.0.6 address come from?

F.Y.I. (and to explain why I am puzzled), when a windows machine is set to obtain it's IP address automatically, it will look for the presence of a DHCP server on boot. If such a server can't be found*, then in lieu of any better ideas, a pseudo random IP address will be used (169.something.or.other if I recall correctly).

Therefore, the IP address on your machine would seem to imply that it has either been set manually or obtained dynamically from somewhere.

*Again assuming my sketchy memory is playing ball (I'm sure I'll be corrected if not), I believe that XP insists on working as a DHCP server when being used for ICS. Either way, you can only have one DHCP server on your LAN otherwise they will both try doling out IP addresses, which can cause a variety of issues not to mention headaches.

Regards,
D'Essen
N/A

Hi,

I've just had a quick look for a reference to back up my memory and just found an exception to my above comments (for any interested readers).

If a computer (not a portable) has a DHCP address from a previous boot, and the lease is still valid, then the computer will keep this address.

The automatic address is also known as APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing), and the range is usually 169.254.0.0/16

For your reference, this is from KB307287 (referring to Windows Millienium), however similar applies to the other OS's.

Regards,
D'Essen
[/url]
N/A

The use of 169.254.0.0/16 addresses in the absence of a DHCP server is laid down in the UPnP specification, so it should certainly be seen as widely applicable, and not specific to Windows operating systems.
N/A

well can anyone think of anything that can help? ^^;;

This machine used to be a windows ME
I did format it before I installed XP though.....