cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

+net = -speed

N/A

+net = -speed

Well can't get above 125KBps download from anywhere tonight , and last night and the night before and so-on

Speeds reported from Nildram, ADSLguide and all other 3rd party sites are reporting a super fast 1meg connection not bad for £65 a month...

Why pay £35 when you can have the same speed for £65 good eh

Nobody want's to answer the questions posted on my ticket...

No one replys to emails

This is getting close to Bulldogs CS

Sorry for the negative post but enough is enough, and I can't believe you lot at plus net don't know what's realy going on...

Then I read another fat pipe is being installed "number 9" bit sudden isn't it

Have you over sold your bandwidth ??

Oh and another thing this port 135 blocking that came in to operation today at 2pm .....

IT AIN'T WORKING

I have asked for a IP change twice to see if that would improve things as I saw nearly 11,000 YES 11,000 packets being sent to one of my PC's in a 16 hour period from other +net users

Come on Guys
39 REPLIES
Community Veteran

[Split] Speed issues and contention

Given this, is there any reasonable doubt that it's not down to BT

I agree it is likely to be a BT problem, as reset said a lot of people are affected by this yet not everyone is. I'm on ADSL 500 and I've found that its been really fast in the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Chris
N/A

well i dont care who's prob it is i want it fixed coz i am paying for a connection that i cant use...........take 5mins to load a page thats if it loads at all and my top download speed is 2kbs even that dont stay constant its drop to 0kbs.......all i am told is that they are waiting for bt to get back to them well i dont mind that as long as i dont have to pay for this crap while they are waiting................
Yours truely
one seriously pissed off customer
Couger
Grafter

dont mind that as long as i dont have to pay for this crap while they are waiting................

I will be demanding a full refund seeing that this has started since my 1 MB was activated and that my connection is also totally unacceptable

Why should we pay for something we are not getting,
1 MB my ass its like being back on 56K at times

Regards Sven

one seriously [censored] off customer Evil
N/A

hmm...

Just a thought...
but according to Plusnet here....

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?D10diomB6dQ%3D

They say..
This graph represents the data traffic that is going through our home gateway during the previous 24 hours. The total bandwidth in use will be the combined total of the blue and green lines.

Which means between the hours of 8pm to 10pm last night and other nights they ran out of bandwidth as the total used was around 1550MBps

as they have 8x155MB = 1240 ??

Please correct me if I am wrong
N/A

I think you may be wrong as all connections have an upload speed and download speed which are seperate, so i assume that the 155Mbps fat pipes are 155 down and 155 up, but the up speed may be lower

also plus net are getting the 9th one installed in a week or so Cheesy
N/A

Hmm I thought the "fat" pipe 155Mb was total up or down ?Huh
Community Veteran

I will be demanding a full refund seeing that this has started since my 1 MB was activated and that my connection is also totally unacceptable

Why should we pay for something we are not getting,
1 MB my ass its like being back on 56K at times

It would be very unlikely that you would get a refund, don't forget the service is advertised as a 50:1 contention ratio.

Chris
N/A

I have to agree there.

Until any party (BT, yourself, PlusNet, Reback or anybody else in the loop) can conclusivly put a finger on the problem at hand, there would not be any real chance of obtaining a refund.

The fact you are getting service, is enough.

If however, you can proove it is not your own side (IE, a BT engineer sees the same thing using his own equipment but your login details), and you are getting speeds below these ones marked further down, then you do stand a strong chance of getting a refund prior locating the main cause.

2MB 20:1 service - 102.4bits/s (12.8KB/s)
1MB 20:1 service - 51.2bits/s (6.4KB/s)
1MB 50:1 service - 20.48bits/s (2.56KB/s)
512kb 20:1 service - 25.6bits/s (3.2KB/s)
512kb 50:1 services - 10.24bits/s (1.28KB/s)

These figures are the rock bottom figures you should see when contention kicks in at full force.

Anything below these means that the contention for that exchange has been caculated wrong or another major problem is being seen.
N/A

Surely you’ve missed a couple of 0s off acarr with figures like those it wouldn’t be worth having BB.
N/A

Those figures are accurate as a worst case scenario.
N/A

No, no 0's removed at all.

Some sample math if you would please meastro Tongue

2mb is 2048kbit
2048kbit split between 20 users is 102.4kbit per customer
102.4kbit is 12.8KBytes (1024.4 devided by 8 )

Applied to 1mb 50:1

1mb is 1024kbit
1024kbit split between 50 users is 20.48kbit per customer
20.48kbit is 2.56KBytes

These are supposed to be worst case scenario figures. However, because the product is sold as a contended services, PlusNet are effectivly supplying a full service until you are seeing data rates under these.

When I say this, I am not saying that he doesn't deserve a refund. However, until liability is established, nobody is to blame.

EDIT: Damned smiley fixed.
N/A

Have a read of This
article, is it accurate?
N/A

Well lets hope contension day never comes :shock:
N/A

Contention is here allready in multiple locations.

If I find time and courage to form propper english Tongue I will try and write a guide on each point of contention.

Here is a breif jist.

The first point on contention is the exchange.

BT provide a backhaul into the ATM network with soemthing like a 4Mbit channel.

Whilst the contention may be 50:1 or 20:1 on you product, it make it work somthing like this.

512kbit at 50:1
4Mbit / 512bkit = 8
50:1 * 8 = 400

That means 400 customers use that backhaul into the ATM network (20:1 and 50:1 customers share different backhauls).

This part is a BT thing, and nothing to do with the ISP, who have no control over this part of the process at all.

Allthough it is 400 customers, a ratio of 50:1 is still being maintained (the ratio is 50 customers to 1 set of bandwidth. Bandwidth is 512kbit).

This can be good as there is more idle bandwidth available most of the time. However, it can also be worse too.

From the ATM network there are BT Central pipes (PlusNet currently has 8 150Mbit Fat pipes, or BT Central pipes).

The same process applies here too, however, this is soemthign the ISP has total control of.

Contention can apply over the internet too, if the ISP only has limited access available to to the internet, though unlikely.

There are just too many steps and points of contention involved to proove who is to blame until each one is looked at in detail.

That article tries to pin the blame squarly at the door of the ISP, without even noting that contention can happen outside of the ISP's control.

Once this 9th Fat Pipe/BT Central pipe is in place, and some users start seeing noticable differences in speed (even if not upto full speed), then many people here can start screaming at the ISP some more Tongue