cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to host a web site on NT

N/A

need to host a web site on NT

Got my static IP, My router, no luck what so ever getting my website live
Any good folk out there got any ideas. Where am i going wrong. All i know is that its something to do with router set up and gateways and subnets

Thanks
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: need to host a web site on NT

You have to enable port 80 through the NAT firewall on your router. You may need to open up your ssl port as well.
N/A

> You have to enable port 80 through the NAT firewall on your router. You may need to open up your ssl port as well.

Thanks But... How? there are no help files or clues

Cheers Mate
Tim

N/A

The methods for port forwarding varies depending on your make of router, the best place to start is your router manual.

If you have an Alcatel Speedtouch Pro then go to this site for a full explanation of port forwarding and is also sometimes referred to as pinholing, this site has examples.

http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/howtos/Alcatel/alcatelpinholing.html

Hope this helps

Ali

N/A

> You have to enable port 80 through the NAT firewall on your router. You may need to open up your ssl port as well.
Thanks Richard
but i cant find NAT or Firewall on my router config
i can find ip forwarding but the static ip supplied by plus net is not allowed in my router

The router says 192.168.8.something
plusnet say 212.165.something else
grey hairs
what ever you do don't go with BusinessServe
N/A

Which router do you have? I managed to set up HTTP and FTP forwarding on my DSL-504 without too much trouble. I did find postings from a few others who were having bother with it and other routers though. Try searching for your router in the www.adslguide.org.uk forums and on www.Google.com. Also, make sure you have bullet proof security on your webserver. I've closed my ports back down due to the huge numbers of attacks I was getting from hackers. Some IP addresses were originating from china, others were even from unallocated domains! Specially DONT use microsoft IIS unless you're running all the latest security patches since there's loads of active worms out there designed specifically to attack IIS.
Why not just use your Plusnet webspace? Let them worry about the security, after all, that's why you're paying them £24 per month!
Good Luck!

> > You have to enable port 80 through the NAT firewall on your router. You may need to open up your ssl port as well.
>
> Thanks But... How? there are no help files or clues
>
> Cheers Mate
> Tim
>
>

N/A

The IP given to you by PlusNet isn't part of the port forwarding. You should just give your router the IP address and port number of your HTTP server and the port you want forwarded to that port on that server.
eg. if your HTTP server is on port 80 on a machine with LAN IP of 192.168.0.32 on your network, then your router just needs to know that any incomming port 80 (HTTP) traffic should be forwarded to port 80 on 192.168.0.32. Your WAN IP (issued by plusnet) has nothing to do with the routing.

> > You have to enable port 80 through the NAT firewall on your router. You may need to open up your ssl port as well.
> Thanks Richard
> but i cant find NAT or Firewall on my router config
> i can find ip forwarding but the static ip supplied by plus net is not allowed in my router
>
> The router says 192.168.8.something
> plusnet say 212.165.something else
> grey hairs
> what ever you do don't go with BusinessServe
>

N/A

Yes but the big question is,

why would anyone want to host a website on NT ?

I hope that you are prepared for the upkeep involved

(.....ohhh me shivers with the memory)

N/A

> Yes but the big question is,
>
> why would anyone want to host a website on NT ?
>
> I hope that you are prepared for the upkeep involved
>
> (.....ohhh me shivers with the memory)
>
>

Good Point!!

But each to their own, live and let live, naaaahhhh sod it Apache on Linux forever Smiley