cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem

N/A

modem

Word up....

ok , whats the difference between all these modems? I mean is one thats £150 faster then one for £50? What would be the reason for paying all the money for an expensive on if a cheap one does exactly the same thing!? I have a Speedstream 3060 internal....is this any good? would getting a more expensive modem (mine cost £40) mean my ADSL would be faster?

Much appreciated
Si
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: modem

> Word up....
>
> ok , whats the difference between all these modems? I mean is one thats £150 faster then one for £50? What would be the reason for paying all the money for an expensive on if a cheap one does exactly the same thing!? I have a Speedstream 3060 internal....is this any good? would getting a more expensive modem (mine cost £40) mean my ADSL would be faster?
>
> Much appreciated
> Si
Hi,

All sorted now, is it? Why pay £80 - £150 when a £40 modem will do the job? A very good question. Performance wise, if your speed tests are getting good connection speeds and your modem is reliable, don't worry, just think of the money you saved. Dearer USB modems are popular because they don't need the PC owner to take the casing off and play around inside. Handy if you're not into opening up your PC or have run out of PCI slots. Enthusiasts are onto the PCI ADSL modem option, and saving themselves some money, but it hasn't really hit the consumer market's consciousness yet - strange, as Dixon's are selling PCI 56k dial up modems. In some instances there have been problems with the power supply to USB powered modems, so I would stay with what you have.

The other option of a separate ADSL router used with network cards makes sense if you're hooking up a home network to broadband. Otherwise it is a favourite hardware option for enthusiasts who don't trust USB or PCI modems! But if what you have is working fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't forget to visit http://www/dslreports.com/tweaks for a bit of fine tuning.