cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem query with windiows vista

N/A

i recently obtained a copy of vista and i checked my system with the vista upgrade advisor b4 installing and it informed me that my pci adsl Dynamode A220 modem will not work with vista, the questions i have r as follows and i appreaciate any info/input

will my pci modem ever work with vista ? is it just a case of waiting until there r vista drivers 4 my modem.
does pci adsl modems in general work with vista ?
if pci adsl modems dont work with vista wot do i need for a standalone pc... a router ? ( i have no knowledge about routers at all )

thx your help
12 REPLIES
N/A

Vista is of coarse brand new there are very few drivers for adsl modem and its anyones guess if they will ever be any drivers but probably not.

The way to go is a router as they are so cheap now and they offer extra security as the hide your ip from the rest of the world(your internal ip that is) They are independent of the O/S so it doesnt matter what O/S you use. When the worm was going about hardly anyone with a router was infected as their ip was hidden.

Any cheap router will do and give you the option of adding more pcs
N/A

thanx 4 your advice on my modem problem , if i cud trouble u a little more... can u have an internal router? or r they all external ? cud u or ne1 mention any gud routers that i shud consider thanx 4 your help
N/A

I have a Solwise router at home (I forget the model, but it's the one that Plus used to sell) and we use a Netgear DG834 at work.

Both have performed very well.
sam
Grafter

Hi electricwarrior,

I personally use a Netgear and I thinks its great, I have just got my Grandparents a D-Link and they have had no trouble at all.

I do think that this is personal preferance, but I have found that the better the brand the better the router, (I had a no-brand router once and had all sorts of problems)
Isitme
Grafter

Have a look on eBay, wired routers are available very cheap and even wireless ones can be had for about £25, delivered.
N/A

hiya guys thanx 4 all your help/info it will go along way 2 help me sort out my router query.
N/A

N/A

my friends have just got a new dell with vista on and have discovered their voyager 105 is incompatable.

will all routers work with vista - its just looking on the netgear website they talk about which models are compatable and which are still to be updated?

Thanks
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Most routers will work fine with Vista because they don't rely on drivers to make them work. I've got a Netgear DG834G and Vista and no problems at all, but always best to check with the supplier just in case.
N/A

If it uses ethernet or wireless technology then it'll be compatable as these are universally accepted standards and don't require drivers to make them work. Some routers also allow USB connection which most likely would not work, unless the manufacturer had released new drivers on their website. In that case you'd simply fall back to one of the other modes.

Can't hurt to ask in the shop when you buy it though, and then can legitimately take it back if it doesn't work. If you're buying online (as most people do) you can drop an e-mail to the manufacturer's sales team, and they should be able to advise. Sadly most online retailers won't allow you to return opened products that are incompatable with your system and won't advise you on compatability issues either. I suspect if you pushed it distance selling regulations and/or credit card insurance could prevent you being left out of pocket, but it goes to show that researching the products you buy is essential.
N/A

thanks guys! i'll pass the info on to my friends.
N/A

Hi Shepton,

Hopefully you've picked up on the fact that in most cases you must have an "ethernet" connection on your PC in order to use a router.

If you don't have a built in ethernet connection then a PCI ethernet card can be fitted very cheaply (£5~£10), or perhaps pinch/borrow one from an old work pc.

As others have mentioned - routers can be bought fairly cheaply on eBay - as many ISPs issue them to new customers that already have modems of their own, so many get sold on (often unused).

I recently picked up a Speedtouch 585 wireless modem/router, and configured it very easily without even needing to use the CD (Tesco Internet) - many routers have "embedded web setup pages", which makes setup and configuration completely independent of operating systems (be it XP, Vista, or even Macs).

There are a good many Speedtouch 576 wireless modem/routers on eBay, which is virtualy the same as the 585 model, but is an "OEM" ISP issued version with just one ethernet connection instead of four.

If you were interested, I have a Speedtouch 576, with all the cables, three Speedtouch splitter/filters AND an "EDUP" wireless USB adapter (IEEE802.11g wireless standard) - all yours for £35 including delivery (or if anyone else is interested).

Mark H.