cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modem connection

N/A

modem connection

hi guys
can someone please explain how after a couple of months connected at 6.5 mbps my voyager 105 is now showing 5.5 mbps both these are steady figures and having only used 2.5 gb this month, are plus net capping my connection,

cheers binzy
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

modem connection

The amount of data you have downloaded bares no relation to the sync speed to the exchange as that is determed by the exchange equipment, not PlusNet, so it is nothing that PlusNet have done. Any traffic management restrictions that PlusNet impose will be with the data throughput speed, not your sync speed.

MaxDSL is very problematic and you can get fluctuations in sync speed. Often if your SNR levels drop you will get a lower sync speed. Also sometimes if the exchange thinks your line is having problems, it will increase the min SNR level at which it will sync thus reducing the sync speed you can get. The normal setting is 6dB SNR but this can be increased in 3dB increments to 15dB. If the min has been raised, that will explian the reduction in sync speed.

There is very little (in fact nothing) you can do about this given the high sync speed you are still getting, its just how things are with MaxDSL.
N/A

modem connection

hi
thanks for the reply,

you are right im still ok with the speed but now its not running so smoothly as it takes me about six attemps to get connected to the net i must add i only live about 100 meters from the exchange in a small village so dont think exchance could be overloaded,so to put this another way with my twelve months just about up your saying even if i moved to another provider it will still be the same with them.

binzy
Community Veteran

modem connection

Yes.

The connection to the exchange has nothing to do with the ISP.

When you have problems connecting, is this with the exchange (no sync) or with the authentication after syncing with the exchange?

What do your line stats say?
N/A

modem connection

hi
the problems connecting is first part authentication but as i stated before this is a new problem since speed drop computer was flying couple of weeks ago after your upgrades were finalised

binzy
N/A

modem connection

hi
sorry my mistake trouble is the verifing username and password this is where i need to try it a few times before i get a connection

binzy