cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

major browsing problems

N/A

major browsing problems

Im having major browsing problems. Pages take ages to load and I get loads of page cannot be displayed errors all the time, for instance it took me 5 attempts to login to this portal, id click on member login and get the cannot display page, this happened 5 times before i could actually get to the page to login. It happens on all the sites i visit as soon as i click a link on the page i get the message and just have to keep hitting the back button to eventually get there. Also when pages are loaded a lot of the images on the pages are not there, just the crosses where the images should be. Ive done virus scans and scanned using spybot for spyware, but nothing has changed. I installed windows xp service pack 2 recently and it does seem to be around that time when the problems started, surely this couldnt be the problem, i have done a system restore before that point but no joy. Also when i load up windows i get error messages which run along the lines of "application or dll is not a valid windows image please check your installation diskette, i get about 5 or 6 of thesse. Could someone point me in the right direction please as this is driving me insane Sad
8 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

major browsing problems

this reply is of no help to you unfortunately because I too get a similar problem from time to time & at present some images don't load, just the frame & cross in corner & pages sometimes hang before loading, I have tried everything suggested to me to no avail, some days pages load in a flash, today is bad,
I posted about this a while back but replies didn't come up with the solution Evil hope you get better luck this time
N/A

major browsing problems

Thanks anyway, must have taken me at least 20 trys to get to this page to reply, i just don't understand it, even as im writing this theres hardly any images on this page and i had at least 5 dns errors trying to get here, surely someone has the solution. ps 9 tries before i could submit this message.
Community Veteran

major browsing problems

Have you tried the obvious things:

- power cycle PC and any ADSL equipment you use.
- Disable any firewall and anti-virus software - for some a complete uninstall is necessary to stop them interfering with your net connection.
- Disable any pop-up stoppers
- Disable the windows firewall (which is now on by default with SP2). This should not be on anyway if you are using another software firewall package.

What DNS servers are you using? Bring up a dos window and enter ipconfig /all at the prompt.

Try manually setting up windows to use DNS servers 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10. This can be done via network settings undet TCP/Ip properties.

Use WinMTR to www.plus.net and www.linx.net and post the results after at least 10 mins. If it is showing packet loss this could explain your problem.

Also post what you are getting with PlusNets speedtest (connection settings link on left).
N/A

problem

im kinda having the same problem, taking ages to load pages, no images on the page, also sometimes i get a BT service information page!? something about invalid domain, or problems with your server? i cant even get on to web sites like amazon. of even this portal sometimes.
Community Veteran

major browsing problems

When you get te BT service page it means t could not route your ADSL connection to PlusNets radius servers to be allocated an IP address.

To solve this just reboot your modem/router/PC. A wok around is to manually configure the DNS servers in windows rather than having them automatically set. Use 212.159.6.9 & 212.159.6.10 and see if that helps.

I also suggest you do what I listed above.
N/A

major browsing problems

I got bitdefender which is an anti virus software and firewall plus other things at first it made no difference but it then did an update and its as fast as ever now. I of course disabled the firewall in service pack 2 and uninstalled norton which didnt seem to pick up on a lot of viruses.
vic_newey
Grafter

major browsing problems

but are website pictures loading properly ?
N/A

major browsing problems

Perfectly if you want this prog just pm me.