cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mIRC very very slow DCC downloads

N/A

I am having terrible trouble doing any downloads toady.

The spped is so slow the connections are dropping. At the moment I am trying to transfere a file, the best speed I am gettin is 4kBps. That's dial up speed.

Most severs won't maintain a connection at that speed.

What is happening and how can I fix it?

PlusNet show my connection speed at 2500kbps. I can't get anywhere near this in real useage.

Of course a plusnet speedtest shows me achieving 2733kbps, but real usage get a tiny fraction of that.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Same thing here, but I've already made this point on two other threads. I'm looking at reactivating my internal modem as I type.
Liam
Grafter

These transfers are classified at the same level as Peer-2-Peer. As such, they will take the lowest priority on our network at busy times and will be particularly shaped if your account has hit any of the management levels.
N/A

I have not been in formed in any way that I have hit any of PlusNet's management limits.

Perhaps, if you would post what they are I could judge for myself.

Saturday lunchtime I was unable to sustain a DCC download.

The only way I can download successfully is very early in the morning or stay up late and set it going around 1:00am.

My user stat's show I do most of my downloading off peak. What are the usage statistic like for a weekend. Should I consider after 10:00am on a weekend peak usage? Or is this a symptom of PlusNet not havimg sufficient capacity for it's user base?

If this is the case what is the solution. Are plusNet buying more bandwidth? If so how soon? Be honest with me please. I can wait a few weeks for the level of service I have enjoyed until now. If it is going to be a few months well let me know and I will make an informed decision.
Firejack
Grafter

....My user stat's show I do most of my downloading off peak. What are the usage statistic like for a weekend. Should I consider after 10:00am on a weekend peak usage? Or is this a symptom of PlusNet not having sufficient capacity for it's user base?...
No BT supplied ISP has sufficient bandwidth right now. The wholesale cost is so expensive. After 10:00am is classes as off-peak by Plus.net but the network is full from 9am onwards most days.

..If this is the case what is the solution.....
If you are downloading off-peak you are on the wrong product. You should try using Broadband PAYG. I switched in the week and it made a big difference to speeds.
...Are plusNet buying more bandwidth?...
Yes, this March