cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low broadband speed

N/A

low broadband speed

I have been having problems with my phone line, lots of noise finally fixed today. Is there any thing I can now do to see if my broadband performance will improve.

Speed test result is as follows, so room for improvement.

IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5024 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 124 kbps
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

low broadband speed

Reboot your router once a day for the next few days.
And run BT speed tests and keep the results.

Within 10 days your speed should have returned, if not then yur profile may have stuck, then you will need to contact support for help.

Chilly
N/A

low broadband speed

4 days of bouncing the router , speed test now says :

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4768 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 471 kbps

How much better than this can I expect it to get.
Community Veteran

low broadband speed

What speed does this page say;
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Chilly
chrisc
Grafter

low broadband speed

This page will show you what speeds you can obtain depending on your sync speed.

Your current sync speed could obtain a maximum of around 4MB throughput.
N/A

broadband speed

Yes I have seen the page that states my broadband speed is 500 kbps. However since that is stated without any explanation/context , I was not sure what it meant.

You see, I think I have an 'up to 8MB (8Mbps)' service. Is that therefore not the case? Is it an up to 500kbps service?
If so why, and is there anything I can do about it?

The later poster suggests I can get up to 4Mbps which I would consider contradictory to reading that it is 500kbps.

Yours confused,
Andy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

low broadband speed

Hi,

Looking at the BT speed history for your line the speed increased to 3.5Mbps earlier today. You might need to disconnect and reconnect for that change to take effect.

The account you are on is an "up to 8Mbps" account. What that means is is that the sync speeds available on that account are up to 8Mbps but that they could be anywhere between 160kbps and 8Mbps. ADSL technology is very much a distance dependent technology, the longer the phone line the lower the speed it can support.

It's also worth checking the wiring and filters, this page is a useful read:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

anything incorrect with the wiring can easily cause a reduction in the speed.
N/A

low broadband speed

Interesting. Why would it suddenly jump to that from just 500kbps? Is that controlled by BT or plusnet or is it automatic?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

low broadband speed

The way that Max works is that IP profile is set based on your sync speed. When the sync speed goes up the IP profile goes up, when the sync goes down the IP profile goes down.

However, a decrease will happen within minutes of the sync rate decreasing but an increase will only happen if the sync rate increases and stays higher for 3-5 days.

What's likely here is that the line resync'd at a rate just under 1Mbps last week, maybe only for a few minutes but that would be enough to cause the IP profile to go down. It's then resync'd higher, again possibly straight away but taken 3-5 days to see an increase in the throughput.
N/A

low broadband speed

OK thanks, I can see the performance has improved.

I am running a freeware app Broadband Speed Test which is showing file downloads running at 1200 - 1800 kbps now.

It also shows some packet loss ~2%.

I am about 2 miles from the exchange.

Is this the best it is likely to get?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

low broadband speed

The BT estimate for your line is about 1.5Mbps, but it has sync'd higher than that so you may see a faster speed than that. We've got a new speedtest which is

www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

worth a try to see what speed that gives.