cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lousy 1mb connection

N/A

lousy 1mb connection

HEEELLP.
I have long been experiencing slow ADSL. I have changed to Pusnet to get some good customer service, and they have managed to get BT to fix some line faults, but speed is still poor and very erratic. Results in the last few minutes range from 806kbs (acceptable) to 450 kbs (I have had as low as 350kbs) and usually in the 500-600 range on the plusnet speed test.
Hardware: ZoomX4 through a linksys 100T hub.
some other info: MTU/MRU (currently) 1472, MSS 1432, RWIN 31636
Max TX -38
SNR 34
Line Attenuation 24
signal loss 0
frame loss 0
CRC errors 0

is there a better MTU combo i should be trying? is it possible or likely that my cables are hosed? I have tried turning off all network traffic, virus, firewall etc.
anyone got any ideas?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

lousy 1mb connection

You may be suffering with the BT central pipe congestion issue. See the following ADSLguide for a summary of what this is and why it happens:

Recent Plusnet Speed Issues

Also if you have not done so already, have a read of MTU Tweak thread.
N/A

lousy 1mb connection

hi
i have been through the MTU tweaks. make insignificant difference, but am happy to put in alternate figures if anyone can suggest a bunch.
I am connected to one of the suspect pipes (on ADSLguide page) but cannot seem to get off it with repeated modem powerdowns, same trace every time.

Could i have a local cable or hardware problem? might this expain the very erratic test results? the X4 and the hub are new/newish and have made no difference. the ethernet cables are bought, but not new. the phone lines are recently tested by BT :roll: from here and judged clear and good (but not from the PCs terminal).
N/A

lousy 1mb connection

i have now managed to get connected to one of plusnets wider pipes. it has made little difference to the speed test results, if any. still posting results of 5-600 kbs
any more ideas?