cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loosing DNS and therefore internet

absolutz
Dabbler

I have noticed that I regularly loose my Internet connection. Doing some checks on my router, the ADSL connection is up but the DNS server is down. This happens regularly and the only remedy I have found is to reboot the router, sometimes 2 or 3 times. This is really a problem and I can't see what would be wrong at my end. I have a D-Link G604T router with the latest firmware installed.
- Has anyone else come across this?
- is this possibly a lame plusnet DNS server issue?

Thanks

Christoph
11 REPLIES
Wheelie
Grafter

Yes I have found this problem on occasion. I find if you put the DNS address into the router manualy its a lot better I always use the folowing addresses

Auto detect DNS can be a pain on times Sad

Hope this helps
absolutz
Dabbler

Ray, thanks for that - I would be interested if others have the same issue, if so, Plusnet should surely investigate?
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

If you can follow the advice above, and the problem is resolve, it would signal a problem with your own equipment and not the PlusNet service.

If this was a problem with the PlusNet service, we would expect to see a number of reports like this, which we currently don't.

Kind Regards,
Wheelie
Grafter

NP

I wouldn't swear on it but I don't think its a Plusnet problem I am sure I read somewhere that routers can lose the settings. From memory I think thats why I started to put them in manually.

I am sure if I am wrong someone will tell me Smiley
N/A

You need to work out if the router is the problem or your pc. What is your dns set to on your pc as this is the one which would be the problem. If its not set to the router then the problem is with your pc.

When you hae the problem you should be able to go onto the router and ping from the router this way you can see if the router is not getting dns or your pc.

There is a know problem with DNS Cache on Xp and win2k and this would cause the problem you describe full details ad fix here

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=158

If you are on XP SP2 you could get the problem of to many connection if you are using P2P are there any errors in the event log?
N/A

I have had the same problem

It is not the router or pc it is the dns that i was given by plus when i first joined i am sure, does anyone know the best dns severs to use.

Currently on 212 159 11 150 & 212 159 13 150
Wheelie
Grafter

Sorry suninjune

Never seen them IP's before the only ones I have ever seen or used by Plusnet are the following ones.

N/A

Currently on 212 159 11 150 & 212 159 13 150

Hi there,

Those servers where taken out of service some months ago. As Ray says above, any of the DNS servers he has listed are current and will work.

Its strange, but you are the second person I have seen today that is still using those servers. There was a service status announcement about this at the time. Looks like some missed it then.
N/A

never saw it

I dont rate the support at all online or via the phone the fella tonight could not wait to get me off the phone while I was trying to ask questions and get stuff sorted, and 30 minute wait even at 10.30pm
N/A

There's one slight problem with setting the DNS servers IP addresses in your router. Many routers have just a primary and secondary DNS IP setting. I seem to remember that PN have three DNS servers.

What happens if both your set primary and set secondary happen not to be online, or respond so slowly that your browser times out? What happens if PN decide to change their DNS servers IP addresses?

I stick to auto detect. Just my 2p.
N/A

Hi,

If you can follow the advice above, and the problem is resolve, it would signal a problem with your own equipment and not the PlusNet service.

If this was a problem with the PlusNet service, we would expect to see a number of reports like this, which we currently don't.

Kind Regards,

I have to disagree I am seeing exactly these syptoms on my Router (Netgear DG834GT). I seems related to the noise margin on my downstream connection. If the noise Margin drops into singal figures I lose gateway IP address and DNS server addresses from the router status page but the green sync light stays on.

See http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37000