cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

local area connection 'aquiring network address'

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

My new speedier 1mbps is great, but I have a second icon on the taskbar (another set of little computer screens) which just sits there saying 'aquiring network address' but never does (if I put the mouse pointer over it)
If I go in and disable it I get no connection at all, although in the network connections window there is a broadband one called PlusNet as well.
Everything seems to be working, but why is this showing and how do I get rid of it?
Could it be anything I've disabled in the configuration list - I was trying to speed up XP start-up and took a list from www.blackviper.com and switched off a few it said were very safe - no other problems so far though, I just mention it in case Shockedops:
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

One vital piece of info is missing... what ADSL hardware you are using and how does it connect?

Are you saying this did not happen when you had a 512K connection?

Does your motherboard have an Ethernet/Network port and is there anything connected to it?
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

One vital piece of info is missing... what ADSL hardware you are using and how does it connect?

Are you saying this did not happen when you had a 512K connection?

Does your motherboard have an Ethernet/Network port and is there anything connected to it?

BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem
It used to come on at first and then disappear quite quickly, yesterday it just stayed there the whole time I was online BUT today it isn't there at all? Don't know what to say now Shockedops: :?:

As for your 3rd question... I have no idea what they are or if I have them... sorry Shockedops: How could I tell, or should we ignore this now the icon's gone?
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Spoke too soon... it's back tonight again :?:

I'm guessing that would rule out any changes I've made... it was fine this morning but not this evening :?:
N/A

christ man, that is exactly the situation im in

i did hte blackviper "safe" options last night, and now have that icon...

so yes, its that .... the only other thing ive changed is to upgrade to sp2 in last couple of days, but sure it isnt that.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

even stranger.... if I double click on the little screen icon, select properties and then close both windows, it goes away! I don't actually make any changes, just open it from the icon :roll:

Have I got the experts stumped this time? Shocked
N/A

sorry, shouldve added i have a netgear modem/router...

might look through the services this weekend see what causing it - not a prob, but its annoying, isnt it?
N/A

what is this blackviper stuff? If it is a firewall... maybe it's blocking DHCP? I dunno...
N/A

www.blackviper.com

site with some nice guides to tweaking OSes, and security tips etc.