cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linksys HELP!

khaggy
Dabbler

linksys HELP!

big problem. i had trouble hosting a gam on halo so i tried to mess around with the server ip and the dns server on the configurations menu of my linksys router. now when i type in 192.168.1.1 i cannot get in as it cannot recognise it! is there a way to reset all the settings?
15 REPLIES
N/A

linksys HELP!

Hi there,

On the back of the router there should be a small reset switch. Pressing this for 30 secs should be sufficient to restore the factory settings.
khaggy
Dabbler

linksys HELP!

i cannot seem to find a reset switch! my router is linksys WAG354g
N/A

linksys HELP!

Hi there.

Looking at the rear of the router, the reset switch should be located between the 4th ethernet port and the power input. It will be a small hole and you will need a unfolded paper clip or pin or other small object to access it.

Hope that helps.

The user manual, should you need it can be found here
khaggy
Dabbler

linksys HELP!

i have tried reseting but with no luck! any other suggestions?
N/A

linksys HELP!

If a factory reset still isnt letting you in then all I can suggest is a call or email to Linksys support.

I assume you are holding the reset switch for at least 30 secs?

Soz I cant do any more for you.
shellsong
Grafter

linksys HELP!

A lot of routers respond best to keeping the reset button pressed for 20 seconds and keep it pressed while you switch off or remove the power to the router then power back on and release the reset button after a further 20 seconds-- don't ask me why though! :roll:
essenby
Grafter

linksys HELP!

I have a set of instruction direct from Linksys which detail the tortuaous process of resetting to factory defaults. I can email them to you if you PM me your contact details. Alternaltively I can post them here if the Mods think it appropriate?
holdtight
Grafter

linksys HELP!

Shouldnt be a problem posting it here as its not too far off of shellsongs description just a bit more long winded as its from linksys
Done it and got the t`shirt etc Wink

could well help others with linksys routers out as well
Redviper
Grafter

linksys HELP!

Hi Resting the Linksys Router

find a paper clip and unfold it

switch on your router

Locate the reset hole

Push in the unfolded paper clip CAREFULLY, until you feel it press the button.

Hold it in, for about 20-30 seconds or until the power light (IIRC) will go red, and then relese.

all done

Ste
Community Veteran

linksys HELP!

been their also got the tee shirt.

Remember when you reset to factory settings both login username and password resort to admin

also if you have reset it you will need to reconnect it to your pc using a network cable for the 1st time as opposed to trying wirelessly as resetting removes all your wireless details, ssid etc.

Once you have reset connect via a network cable and using admin;admin set it up as before, putting in your chosen ssid etc.

A
essenby
Grafter

linksys HELP!

Here are the instructions I got from Linksys.

We start with a hard reset to initialize the reconfiguration.

1. Locate and press the reset button for 30 seconds.
2. After 30 seconds, unplug the power cord for about 10 seconds.
3. Plug the power back in, then let go of the reset button.

To manually setup your ADSL gateway, please go through the steps I have prepared below.

1. Access the router’s Web Base Utility by opening Internet Explorer and type 192.168.1.1 on the address bar. Hit enter.
2. It will ask for a username and password as log in for your gateway. Type “admin” for both username and password and click on OK. You will be under Setup. If the password is not accepted, please type in your commonly used password and click on OK.
3. Under Setup, select the encapsulation needed by your Internet provider.
4. Specify the VCI/VPI values, Multiplexing and type in your username and password on the screen. These setting will be provided by your ADSL provider which is AOL. You may use 0/38 for VCI/VPI, VC for Multiplexing and PPPoA for encapsulation.
5. Save the settings.
6. You may also check the “Maximum Number of DHCP Users” under Setup. Make sure that it is set to 50 and click on Save Settings button.
7. Click on Status and check the ADSL link. If it is connected, check your internet access. If it is disconnected, you may perform power cycle on the network. To do a power cycle, please follow the steps below.

a. Turn off the computer and the gateway.
b. Wait for 30 seconds and then turn on the gateway.
c. Wait for the lights to be stable, turn on the computer.
d. Check your internet access.

After configuring the Internet access, wired computers should be able to go online. You may configure the wireless part of the gateway. If wired computers cannot go online, you may contact AOL for the correct settings. You may also verify the connection from AOL if it is active and registered. To configure the wireless settings, please follow the steps below.

1. Access the router’s Web Base Utility by opening Internet Explorer and type 192.168.1.1 on the address bar. Hit enter.
2. It will ask for a username and password as log in for your gateway. Type “admin” for both username and password and click on OK. You will be under Setup. If the password is not accepted, please type in your commonly used password and click on OK.
3. Under Setup, click on Wireless at the top. Change the Wireless Network Name or SSID to your preferred name. You can use your first name to identify the signal.
4. Change the Channel from 6 to 11. You may try other channels and check what the best channel for your network is.
5. Change the Wireless Network Mode to “Mixed” and the SSID Broadcast to Enable.
6. Save the settings.
7. Click on Wireless security, Set security mode to WEP and select 64-bit for encryption.
8. Set default transmit key to 1 and type a pass phrase.
9. Click on generate button and copy WEP key 1.
10. Save the settings.

Step 4 - Power Cycle

1. Turn off the WAG54G and all the computers.
2. Wait 1 minute.
3. Turn on the WAG54G and wait 30 seconds.
4. Turn on the all the computers.

From here, you may now try to test for Internet connectivity.

For more information on our products, please visit http://www.linksys.com/kb

I think the key point is keeping the re-set button held in for 30 secs, then power off (keeping the button held in!) for 10 secs, then power on, then let go the reset button. It is also worth noting that settings are only saved from the front page (Setup) of the web interface. Anything saved on other pages is only temporary until you "Save Settings" on the front page which rer-boots the router. This eventually worked for me when I had my bad period with the router (here) which was eventually cured by - you guessed it - replacing the router!

Incedentally - anyone know why they suggest changing the channel to 11? A friend of mine with BT internet also got the same advice.
N/A

linksys HELP!

I think its most likely because by default most (all?) routers are configured to start at channel 6, so moving to 11 means you are likely to avoid interference form the 'busier' channel 6, although if this is the case, why don't they set them up to use a different channel by default?
(I know some channels are illegal in some countries, so perhaps thats why?)
Redviper
Grafter

linksys HELP!

Actually while we are on the subject of L/sys routers

Router: L/sys WAG354G v2

i have a very annoying problem, that although L/sys say its a known issue on there website, they say they have had no feedback from there customers

The problem basicly is with UPnP and MSN

MSN does not fuction as it should, sometime wont sign in, when it does it just locks up, really slow transfer rates when trasfering files, when i had my USB modem everything was fine - i have followed the "work around" instructions that they have put on there site, wich basically invloves enabling UPnP on Windows, and it is Enabled on the router. - but i am still having problems.

is anyone able to advise

Thanks

Ste
Redviper
Grafter

linksys HELP!

Anyone?